• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 11 - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Epic game. Would have been funny if it wasn't England playing. Should have walked it but seeing India bottle it with 2 to go was awesome.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Was an awesome innings. Always kept more than in touch with the run rate required. It was actually very depressing watching him bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Inclined to agree with both. I realise I'm now into "old man shouting at clouds" territory by banging on about it, but our squad selection is just totally messed up. Shahzad might've just about done enough to keep his place, but if Broad's touch of Gandhi's Revenge hasn't cleared up by (IIRC) Wednesday, we're stuck with a patently misfiring Jimmeh.
Bopara in for Jimmy? :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Y'know, if the pitches were remotely conductive to Bopara's bowling, I wouldn't have a big problem with this. It'd essentially be the first game but with medium-pace Yardy for fast-medium Jimmy.
Haha, it was a semi-serious post, but I still wouldn't go that way. When your score 338 in an ODI and don't win, dropping a bowler for a batsman doesn't make much sense. Particularly when the lower order has saved you from the mire.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Haha, it was a semi-serious post, but I still wouldn't go that way. When your score 338 in an ODI and don't win, dropping a bowler for a batsman doesn't make much sense. Particularly when the lower order has saved you from the mire.
Well, quite. Was merely saying it wouldn't be all that extra ordinary to play two seamers when only two of them have fired. It'd still require using Bopara as first or second change though, and on these pitches that's not going to happen, nor should it.

At least Bresnan has booked his place, he's improved beyond all recognition this year.

cnerd123

likes this
Bresnan, Yardy, Broad, Swann, Collingwood, Shahzad. Decent enough attack.

India's is a bit more worrying. I was expecting more from the part-time stuff of Yuvi and Yusuf, but they clearly aren't going to be troubling sides on flat pitches. Barely keep it tight, let alone take wickets.

Bhajji is fine. Chawla I can live with, since he takes wickets. He needs to just stop being nervous; he kept losing his line or dragged the ball short. Ashwin might be better.

Munaf and Zak are useful when there is some help in the wicket; but apart from one sharp spell from Zak they looked poor.

The most worrying thing, IMO, is MSD's captaincy and our fielding. Mediocre fielding isn't good; one reason to try and get Raina in the side (although he does field a lot as sub). Then there is MSD's captaincy, he can't keep setting such open and free fields. If we're going to post up big scores, we've got to be a bit more aggressive in the field. Keep it tight, cut down the singles, build pressures. Munaf and Zak may or may not be capable of that with the new ball (keeps varying it seems), but Bhajji definitely is and we need someone to support him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England need to think back to the 20/20, they won that without Anderson and will probably be a better side without him now. I would bring Broad in for Jimmy and go with that, enough batting down to 11 and still got 3 pacemen and the pair of spinners with Colly and KP as extra options.

Jimmy is what he is, when it swings he is absolutely deadly but a bit like Hoggard with a white ball when it doesn't swing he is cannon fodder and goes to all parts. Maybe Jimmy needs to be regarded as just a test bowler/home one day bowler from now on?

vcs

Is Sehwag's shoulder still preventing him from bowling? Dhoni should have given him a go IMO, nice classical offie's action and he would have at least forced Strauss to hit him down the ground rather than flatter bowlers like Pathan and Yuvraj who let him work them square of the wicket at will.

vcs

The "choke" word is way overused.. agree with GIMH. No side choked egregiously.

Spark

Global Moderator
Watching highlights now. Scary awesome on the cut is Strauss.

EDIT: Neither team choked I would say.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
England need to think back to the 20/20, they won that without Anderson and will probably be a better side without him now. I would bring Broad in for Jimmy and go with that, enough batting down to 11 and still got 3 pacemen and the pair of spinners with Colly and KP as extra options.

Jimmy is what he is, when it swings he is absolutely deadly but a bit like Hoggard with a white ball when it doesn't swing he is cannon fodder and goes to all parts. Maybe Jimmy needs to be regarded as just a test bowler/home one day bowler from now on?
It's bizarre. I still think there is room for Jimmy in the side in future but for now he needs to take some time out to try and get some form back in the nets. At the end of both matches he was bowling horribly, not even doing the basics right.

He's been an excellent limited overs bowler in the past, and that includes overseas, so he can do it. He'll be back, but perhaps he's just been playing too much recently.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I knew the match would end in a tie.Both teams choked and their fans know it.Inb4 I quote the post where I predicted a tie AND predicted a Safrican born player would ton up.Pews you mirin prediction skills? Yeah you mirin.
Dream innings by M0TM Strauss.

Howe_zat

Audio File
From now on, whenever a team is less likely to win than they were before, they have "choked". I will bear this in mind when reporting on matches in future.

As we know, in any real match, no side is allowed to go ahead and/or fall behind what is expected of them. Ever. At all.

I think we can all agree that England choked early on by dropping Sehwag, but after getting a few runs on the board he himself choked by getting out. Sachin had been choking immensely at one end by taking his time, but started to breathe a bit easier after a while. However, Ghambir, Dhoni and Yuvraj all suddenly choked towards the end of their innings, as they moved from batting to being out seemingly out of nowhere, persumably because it only takes one delivery to get you out. Or as we now call it, choking.

India choked throughout most of their fielding effort apart from one less chokey over from Chawla to Trott. Once the Strauss-Bell partnership had been in, partially thanks to some excellent choking from the UDRS, England suddenly choked in a way that had nothing to do with a good old ball spell from one of the best old ball seam bowlers in the world.

However, India then inexplicably choked harder as England unchoked and clawed the game back. Needing two runs to win off the final ball, everyone choked, including the crowd. Clearly, there is nobody left alive in Bangalore today, as this game evidently happened during a sudden outbreak of turburculosis.

The. ****ing. End.

Last edited: