• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

****Official****NZ condolences thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As much as I tell myself it's only sport and that nobody died, it's incredibly tough to stomach. Would have been so much easier had England scored 350, and rolled NZ by 150 runs, which is a crazy thing to say.

Anyway a place for fellow Kiwis to sob, rant, whatever.

Jezroy

State Captain
Condolences my fellow New Zealanders and/or New Zealand Cricket fans.

Together we remain strong.

cnerd123

likes this
Man, really feel for you guys

Kane feathers behind uncharacteristically for 30, Ross gets sawn off with a rough LBW call after Guppy burns the review and CdG forgets how to bat. But nevertheless NZ battle on to 241, a fighting score

And you almost get the miracle first ball, Boult to Roy, but it's turned down. Inside edges, plays and misses, luck just didn't go your way. Not helped by Boult not finding his radar. Henry gets rid of Roy, but on another day, England would have been 20/4 after that new-ball burst.

But then CdG turns it around, and next thing you know, England desperately need something special from Stokes and Butler to win

And they get it. The Boult catch, the deflection that should have been 5, nothing going your guys way.

And then the superover

Can not possibly get any closer to winning a WC and not actually win it. Literally. Its heartbreaking.

Hang in there fellas.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Commiserations. As a SA supporter I can tell you knowing the game was a tie does not help at all....

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I suspect NZ will be the people's champions in spirit for posterity. Eng have the silverware and wouldn't want it any other way, and neither would NZ for that matter. But NZ were emphatically not losers last night. The trophy can in hindsight be considered to reflect England's excellence these last four years...but that is not the WC's intended purpose as a standalone competition.

Howsie

International Captain
I'm absolutely gutted tbh. I've obviously been pretty vocal in my disappointment in regards to the direction, or lack thereof over the last couple of years with this New Zealand team. But come gameday I'm always 100 percent behind the team. The last hour of this game was somthing else, never experienced anything like it as a fan. My two year old son woke up and watched the last 30 minutes with me, something I'll always remember which made the game just a little bit more special (I've already told him he'll help us win this thing in 20 years time ha).

It sucks, it really does. But I just look back to when i becane a big fan of this team (I guess when i joined the fourm) and how bad we were at that stage, to where we are now. Two World Cup finals and number two in the test rankings, we have definitely seen worse days as a fan base.

vandem

International 12th Man
... the deflection that should have been 5, nothing going your guys way...
Ah no.

The rule (my capitals) is:

"If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, AND THE RUNS COMPLETED BY THE BATSMEN, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

and the batsman had completed two runs when the ball crossed the rope for the boundary. So six was correct.

The rule was put in place to prevent the "oops, slipped" four from the last ball of an over that might keep the good batsmen away from the strike, and expose the #11. Old rule, they run a single to keep the good batsmen on strike, "oops, slipped" and it is four, and the #11 gets to face 1st ball of the new over. Current rule, if they have completed one run, or crossed heading for one run, "oops, slipped" and it is five runs and the #11 gets to hid at the non-strikers end again.

You could argue that the subject / object structure of the sentence is ambiguous, but there is a reason the laws are written in simple English rather than legalise. Note the placement of the last comma in the sentence. Note that "if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act" is a qualifier for "together with the run in progress", but was not used in the previous part of the sentence.

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Edit - have just rechecked the laws site, there is a line break, not a comma, between "the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had" and "already crossed at the instant of the throw or act"

which means my earlier comment aboout the comma placement is wrong, and Taufel is right, should have been 5 runs.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws/boundaries

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I had a dream last night that I woke up, checked my phone, and England had chased it two down. So I was expecting disappointment when I woke up for real, but I was not expecting...that.

It's kind of impressive that such a flawed team that played such flawed cricket over the course of the tournament got as close as they did. There's clearly a hell of a culture going on in that dressing room to overcome the challenges they did.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable 2023 WC win. **** I love the NZ cricket team.

cnerd123

likes this
Ah no.

The rule (my capitals) is:

"If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, AND THE RUNS COMPLETED BY THE BATSMEN, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

and the batsman had completed two runs when the ball crossed the rope for the boundary. So six was correct.

The rule was put in place to prevent the "oops, slipped" four from the last ball of an over that might keep the good batsmen away from the strike, and expose the #11. Old rule, they run a single to keep the good batsmen on strike, "oops, slipped" and it is four, and the #11 gets to face 1st ball of the new over. Current rule, if they have completed one run, or crossed heading for one run, "oops, slipped" and it is five runs and the #11 gets to hid at the non-strikers end again.

You could argue that the subject / object structure of the sentence is ambiguous, but there is a reason the laws are written in simple English rather than legalise. Note the placement of the last comma in the sentence. Note that "if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act" is a qualifier for "together with the run in progress", but was not used in the previous part of the sentence.
Simon Taufel said it should be 5 so.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I had a dream last night that I woke up, checked my phone, and England had chased it two down. So I was expecting disappointment when I woke up for real, but I was not expecting...that.

It's kind of impressive that such a flawed team that played such flawed cricket over the course of the tournament got as close as they did. There's clearly a hell of a culture going on in that dressing room to overcome the challenges they did.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable 2023 WC win. **** I love the NZ cricket team.
And Kane Williamson.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
It's kind of impressive that such a flawed team that played such flawed cricket over the course of the tournament got as close as they did.
This

**** I love the NZ cricket team.
And definitely this.

The frustrations I have with selections will rise again in the coming days/weeks/months but, for now, I am just so gutted we lost and so impressed with the way we played in the semi and final.

Flem274*

123/5
**** i gave erasmus some sprays last night. id be banned if id been posting them on here.

im not heartbroken, strangley, i feel motivated. i want the next series to come so we can get out there and crush some ****s.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t get the Kiwi fans saying they’re not that disappointed, etc. I’ve felt sick all day.
I think the feeling is that NZ did not screw it up (or choke or anything)... they did everything they could to win and just fell short because of some bad luck and good play by opposition Very different if you had made some terrible mistake to lose the cup.

Not saying should not be disappointed, just it is easier to stomach.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
**** i gave erasmus some sprays last night. id be banned if id been posting them on here.

im not heartbroken, strangley, i feel motivated. i want the next series to come so we can get out there and crush some ****s.
Choking under pressure in WC? He is South African...

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain

I don’t even want to think about future matches or tours atm. I think I need a total break until we get going in Sri Lanka.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The frustrations I have with selections will rise again in the coming days/weeks/months but, for now, I am just so gutted we lost and so impressed with the way we played in the semi and final.
I mean, on this point, Stead was essentially coaching Hesson's team. The coach swap coming eight months out was...not ideal.

I think NZ - and all teams really - need to get 2023 planning immediately.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I think the feeling is that NZ did not screw it up (or choke or anything)... they did everything they could to win and just fell short because of some bad luck and good play by opposition Very different if you had made some terrible mistake to lose the cup.
I think Boult's was a terrible mistake and it did cost us the cup. It's a pretty harsh assessment and I love the guy, but that was some meltdown on the boundary.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Boult was unremarkable after his opening two overs. I don't know why he insisted on bowling yorkers (and frequently overpitching) at regular pace when every other seamer kept bowling cutters into the pitch. Even bigger blunder to give him the super over; should have been Henry who bowled superbly all day.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I mean, on this point, Stead was essentially coaching Hesson's team. The coach swap coming eight months out was...not ideal.
Valid point. But my particular frustration was they were still picking Southee and Munro halfway through the tournament. They shouldn't have been in the squad, let alone the starting XI.

But we'll see what transpires over the NZ summer.