• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Man, imagine them getting vision of a "Bevan explosion" back in the day. As a cricketer, really detest the idea of cameras being in there.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, Bev attacks. Wouldn't mind seeing how some blokes react to an out, betting it wouldn't be a Bex and lie-down.

EDIT: Except for Haurie.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Nielsen's spray at Fletcher... quite amusing to see Nielsen ranting about Fletcher's record. I suppose he is correct in that Fletcher was unsuccessful in Australia, but it's not like Nielsen has the record of a world-beater. I haven't heard a lot about Nielsen in the run-up, but you'd think if Australia lost the series he'd be under a lot of pressure.

Also, given Hauritz is apparently not good enough even to edge out Doherty, should we be worried that Swann has been studying Hauritz from last season because he's "well worth copying"?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
First couple of pages of this thread are just awesome, they truly are. Not in a 'I told you so' way (although it is good to see ****s like pasag and Got_Spin get told where to shove it :ph34r:) but in showing how far we progressed in 2010. At the start of the year, people actually suspected we might drop a Test to Bangladesh, now we're arguing over whether we can become #1.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This. Absolutely no way England are favourites. I'd say Australia's bowling attack, with a line-up of Hilfenhaus/Bollinger/Johnson/Hauritz/Watson is is stronger, and at very, very worst on par with England's
Hilfeh, Bollinger and Hauritz eh? :ph34r:
Siddle not Test standard? His better then any of England's bowlers.
Comeback please :laugh:

Also found it funny when people replied to wfdu's post by comparing Siddle to Broad, our best seamer apparently :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I like the the look of Siddle and Harris, ftr. Think wrt the latter tho he looks quite "top heavy" for a quick. I guess he put on a lot of muscle mass when he stepped up from fast/med to genuinely quick and, given his age, it must have an effect.

Sidebottom never quite recovered properly from the effort of putting on a couple of yards in late 20s/early 30s, hope Harris won't be the same.
Yeesh. Poor Rhino. Does rather read like me tempting fate in retrospect.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I put all my faith in Broad a long way back as well tbf.

What's really telling though is that everyone I've read naming an England XI in the first 5 or 6 pages (skimming through the thread to kill time til we start the SCG Masscare) has got at least 9/11 players right. Top seven spot on each time, Swann & Anderson ever-present. And tbf the other two spots have featured four players. Shows how settled we are whereas picking the Oz side from week-to-week is nigh on impossible, and that's one of the key reasons our players perform better as a team, IMO.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I saw the South Africa series and only saw highlights of most of the India series.
But let's just say, I'll be ecstatic if Hilfenhaus looks a million dollars this Ashes and carries on averaging 50 on flat decks.

Which qualifies as bowling well apparently.
I'm pretty damn happy tbf.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook clearly cant go to Ashes. He will surely fail. His technical flaws that where first exposed in the 2006/07 Ashes has never gone away. That hundred in SA last winter, looking back i'm not sure how he did that.
bullet

King Pietersen

International Captain
Hilfeh, Bollinger and Hauritz eh? :ph34r:

Comeback please :laugh:

Also found it funny when people replied to wfdu's post by comparing Siddle to Broad, our best seamer apparently :p
:laugh: Good old Ben. I told him to come back to CW on Twitter, and apparently he changed his e-mail and password on his account so he couldn't get back on it. Shame, would have been hilarious to see his reaction to this series, doubt he'd have lasted long on here though TBH.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To put that into context, in the 2000s, here is the list of 5 wicket hauls taken by spinners:

• 2010: Danish Kaneria - 5/151
  • 2009: Suliemann Benn - 5/155
  • 2007: Anil Kumble - 5/84
  • 2006: Monty Panesar - 5/92
  • 2005: Danish Kaneria - 7/188
  • 2004: Danish Kaneria - 5/125
  • 2004: Daniel Vettori - 5/152
  • 2004: Upul Chandana - 5/101
  • 2004: Upul Chandana - 5/109
  • 2004: Anil Kumble - 8/141
  • 2003: Anil Kumble - 6/176
  • 2003: Anil Kumble - 5/154
  • 2003: Ray Price - 6/121
  • 2001: Daniel Vettori - 5/138
  • 2001: Daniel Vettori - 6/87
Have bolded the ones that are at an average of less than 20. No right arm offspinners amongst them, for the record.
So Swann's 5/91 the second best on this list. Reckon he can get himself on there again in this game.