• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One for our esteemed NZ union fans: what's the take on Fergus Burke?

He's apparently been signed by Sarries to replace Farrell when Wigan's Mr Personality effs off in search of the French Euro.

Despite the Scots first name and Irish surname he's being touted as "English qualified", so one assumes he has half an eye on international honours.

I don't get to see as much (read: none) Super Rugby as I did apres sprogs, so haven't seen the boy's work.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
& b) I had seriously awful sunburn because I'd been to watch England v NZ at Lords the previous day and had rather skimped on the factor 15. The test was notable for being Nasser's last and Andrew Strauss's first, with the former completely sawing off the latter in the second innings and potentially denying him twin tons on debut (from memory he was on 80-odd).

That I had that level of disposable income back then now rather boggles the mind.

However, avec three bin lids one cuts one's cloth accordingly, something said clubs seemingly failed to do
I was at that Hussain/Strauss test too - still a bit cheesed off that (unlike Alastair Cook) Hussain didn’t play a last game for Essex to farewell the County faithful.
And, living in NZ now, a five day pass to the Basin Reserve test vs. Australia plus a Saturday ticket for the rest of the family still cost less than a single day ticket to Lord’s for one to the Ashes at the very least.

ripper868

International Coach
Just saw on sky sports ticker there are now 368 players signed up to a class action against RFU, WRU and World Rugby for failure to adequately protect them from head injuries.

Appreciating early onset dementia and long term concussion symptoms are horrible things, but I doubt there is a player in the game that doesn't know a head knock or 5 isn't beyond the realm of possibility, from amateur level through to internationals.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Just saw on sky sports ticker there are now 368 players signed up to a class action against RFU, WRU and World Rugby for failure to adequately protect them from head injuries.

Appreciating early onset dementia and long term concussion symptoms are horrible things, but I doubt there is a player in the game that doesn't know a head knock or 5 isn't beyond the realm of possibility, from amateur level through to internationals.
In which case, the same would apply to the governing bodies who, as custodians of the rules and regulations of the game as well as having duty of care to the players, should (it could be argued) have acted sooner to protect players as much as possible from concussions etc.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In which case, the same would apply to the governing bodies who, as custodians of the rules and regulations of the game as well as having duty of care to the players, should (it could be argued) have acted sooner to protect players as much as possible from concussions etc.
I don't think so. Maybe if they had concrete evidence of harm, deliberately hid it from the players, and enriched themselves as a result. But on the face of it I'm kind of repulsed by the idea that a small standardisation body is responsible for the harms resulting from a mass participation sport.

I had some very old school soccer coaches growing up, and the amount of time I spent heading a football would nowadays be considered child abuse. Maybe I'll experience some horrible problems later in life as a result. But the idea that FIFA would be responsible for that seems to me like a paranoid schizophrenic delusion.

But that's just my instinct, the legal case might convince me otherwise.

Ali TT

International Debutant
I don't think so. Maybe if they had concrete evidence of harm, deliberately hid it from the players, and enriched themselves as a result. But on the face of it I'm kind of repulsed by the idea that a small standardisation body is responsible for the harms resulting from a mass participation sport.

I had some very old school soccer coaches growing up, and the amount of time I spent heading a football would nowadays be considered child abuse. Maybe I'll experience some horrible problems later in life as a result. But the idea that FIFA would be responsible for that seems to me like a paranoid schizophrenic delusion.

But that's just my instinct, the legal case might convince me otherwise.
Well it wouldn't be FIFA but the FA, as responsible for all aspects of the game in England (if that's where you were playing at the time), including grass roots and coaching qualifications. The RFU are WRU are being sued here.

Presumably World Rugby are being sued too as there are international players involved.

I kind of agree with your first point but I guess the case is aiming to identify whether these bodies were negligent or worse given the knowledge they had at the time.

ripper868

International Coach
We should be suing William Webb Ellis for picking up the ball in the first place really, it all traces back to him.

ripper868

International Coach
Heck of a long way to come for a pre-season match, in the depth of UK winter. Will be a great way to prep for a 30C round 1 match at Suncorp :ph34r:

ashley bach

International Captain
One for our esteemed NZ union fans: what's the take on Fergus Burke?

He's apparently been signed by Sarries to replace Farrell when Wigan's Mr Personality effs off in search of the French Euro.

Despite the Scots first name and Irish surname he's being touted as "English qualified", so one assumes he has half an eye on international honours.

I don't get to see as much (read: none) Super Rugby as I did apres sprogs, so haven't seen the boy's work.
Only seen limited amounts of him playing but for a young fella he looked to have plenty of potential.

ripper868

International Coach
I've only caught the last 10 minutes of Reds v Moana, and glad I didn't see the first 70 minutes of it by the look.