• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Super Six Discussion

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well...India beat NZ quite handily in the end.....still think India can't get any better?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Well...India beat NZ quite handily in the end.....still think India can't get any better?
Well they are playing out of their skins at the moment, but I really doubt they will beat Australia, Australia are just too strong.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
krkode said:
All I'm saying is, even if India win, they probably won't be able to pull off a 4, or for that matter even a 1 year streak of true champion performances.

But who knows :P
Commonly known as doing a "Sri Lanka", winning the World Cup then not doing much for the next few years before going out in the 1st round of the next World Cup...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Well they are playing out of their skins at the moment, but I really doubt they will beat Australia, Australia are just too strong.
Did I say something about India beating Australia? Although I think it's possible, BTW. They are the strongest team by far, but even the strongest and the best are beatable. The best example of that was India beating WI twice in three matches at the '83 WC. WI was still the strongest team before and after the 'cup, but when it mattered, India could raise their game enough to beat them. I am not comparing the two Indian teams or even the West Indian team of the 80s and the current Aussie team, just saying that it's not impossible, not even improbable that it could happen, and it needn't necessarily be India, it could be SL or NZ or...well, maybe not Kenya.:)

I was referring to a post by someone(anzac, I think) who said that India just can't get any better while NZ definitely has a lot of scope to get better.

krkode

State Captain
There is no time when one cannot improve. If you average 60 with the bat, it's time you start looking at 99. If you average 20 with the bowl, it's time you start looking at 18. If you exceed 3.9 RPO with the bowl, it's time you start looking at 3.7.

Always scope to improve there is.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
krkode said:
There is no time when one cannot improve. If you average 60 with the bat, it's time you start looking at 99. If you average 20 with the bowl, it's time you start looking at 18. If you exceed 3.9 RPO with the bowl, it's time you start looking at 3.7.

Always scope to improve there is.
The scope is also defined by your ability. Just because you are looking to improve your average from 60 to 99 doesn't mean that you actually can.

My point was that anzac's assertion that the Indians have all reached the threshold of their potential while NZ still had miles to go before reaching there was short-sighted and prejudiced.

krkode

State Captain
anilramavarma said:
The scope is also defined by your ability. Just because you are looking to improve your average from 60 to 99 doesn't mean that you actually can.

My point was that anzac's assertion that the Indians have all reached the threshold of their potential while NZ still had miles to go before reaching there was short-sighted and prejudiced.
Same thing that I was saying. :P

Just that there's never a moment when you can't improve.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Agreed krkode, there's no such thing as a time when you cannot get any better, even if your name is Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. You could start by stopping getting out in the 90s... ;)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Did I say something about India beating Australia? Although I think it's possible, BTW. They are the strongest team by far, but even the strongest and the best are beatable. The best example of that was India beating WI twice in three matches at the '83 WC. WI was still the strongest team before and after the 'cup, but when it mattered, India could raise their game enough to beat them. I am not comparing the two Indian teams or even the West Indian team of the 80s and the current Aussie team, just saying that it's not impossible, not even improbable that it could happen, and it needn't necessarily be India, it could be SL or NZ or...well, maybe not Kenya.:)

I was referring to a post by someone(anzac, I think) who said that India just can't get any better while NZ definitely has a lot of scope to get better.
No I didn't say you did, I said I thought they wouldn't. Agreed Australia can be beaten but they've shown twice in this WC that they can win games even when they looked dead and buried. If I gambled I would put my money on India though, because Australia are likely to be 1-1 favorites so I wouldn't make any money ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
If I gambled I would put my money on India though, because Australia are likely to be 1-1 favorites so I wouldn't make any money ;)
First rule of gambling - the odds are in favour of the bookies.

Aus are already odds on to win, it can only get more odds on.

Also, do not put money on JUST because the odds are big - there's usually a reason for them being that big (i.e. the side is going to lose)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves people....India and Australia aren't in the final yet.......:)
True...true....All you gamblers out there, take heed and be careful.....:P

anzac

International Debutant
anilramavarma said:
My point was that anzac's assertion that the Indians have all reached the threshold of their potential while NZ still had miles to go before reaching there was short-sighted and prejudiced. [/B]
come on guys give it a break ..... :rolleyes:

as I explained earlier I was talking about a 'significant' improvement - not no improvement at all. I did not say that India had reached their threashold but IMO were nearer to it than NZ, and that if NZ put a complete performance on the park (which they hadn't to date) they would be in with a show, even tho' I thought India would be favs for the match. :duh:

My main concern re India was not the batting, but the sustainability of the improvements made by the Indian seamers, and whether they could step up to yet another level re the pressure of the semis etc - whereas the NZ seamers have produced in the past v AUS.

Anyways NZ continued the rot started with the AUS match & were outplayed across the park & deservedly beaten by the better team on the day - a victory that was made possible by the Indian seamers. :(

Despite the result of the match my opinion has not changed, although they should be more confident, as they were not challenged by the NZ batting. IMO this was as much bad form / shot selection as opposed to dominant bowling (unlike Lee).

On form the only 2 teams that deserve to make the final are AUS & IND - consistantly the better teams of the WC. I hope for IND sake & the final that their seam attack can rise to the challenge with the added pressures.

:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
krkode said:
About time Australia start losing!! :!( :rolleyes: j/k:lol:
What does the j/k in the middle stand for?:)

..and you are right, hopefully, it will be in the final against India.:D