• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

People without teams

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember NZ touring England in 92, and you were bloody awful, Tranmere Rovers (the greatest team in the world mind you) trounced the All-Whites 7-0. Good times.

Spain and Holland for me, both underachievers, but i think they can both do something this year.
No offence, but we hear that exact sentence every four years, and they never do anything, they're even worse than England for letting you down

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Steulen said:
Is that the only Norway-based player in the WC?

No Rosenborg Swede or anything? Or are Norwegians just incapable of supporting Sweden?
Well, Bodø/Glimt IS my team. :p

There's one other: Rami Shaaban (Fredrikstad) is third-choice keeper for Sweden. Yay. Will probably support them anyway, tho.

(Edit: And don't pretend you'd have supported Belgium if they made it through and Netherlands didn't... :p )

Steulen

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:

There's one other: Rami Shaaban (Fredrikstad) is third-choice keeper for Sweden. Yay. Will probably support them anyway, tho.

(Edit: And don't pretend you'd have supported Belgium if they made it through and Netherlands didn't... :p )
Ouch...If we had a proper country down south I might think about supporting it.
I love to see the sorry excuse for a nation called Belgium lose.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:

Ex-Gooner! Turd & always injured tho.... :p

Think he's Egyptian/Swedish, not a combo I'd imediately think of!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nibbs said:
if fifa could think logically, oceania would become a sub-group of asia, whereby the winner of oceania would go into the final stage of asian qualifying...makes perfect sence really. nz would make world cups from time to time i think...
Certainly is better than the 2010 groups.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Ex-Gooner! Turd & always injured tho.... :p

Think he's Egyptian/Swedish, not a combo I'd imediately think of!
Yeah, career move from Arsenal to Fredrikstad seems to have done him good (besides; Premiership turd = Norwegian Premier League gold. Witness Stig Johansen.). Probably got in because Eddie Gustafsson (the normal third choice keeper) was dropped by Lyn and the Swedish coaches figured they might as well replace him with someone else from Norway.

Actually, he's Egyptian/Finnish, but grew up in Sweden. :D It's not that strange, actually, Sweden have got quite substantial immigrant communities - and they're also very keen on playing football. There's a team founded by Assyrian refugees - Assyriska Södertälje - who played in the Premier League last season, and of course Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who, good as he is, doesn't quite give you the Viking associations.)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I've always liked Brazil because they play such entertaining football, but it seems a bit pointless to support them now, given that they've made the final of every world cup I've watched extensively.

If Australia get knocked out early, I'll probably end up supporting England, and I've got a soft spot for Spain as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yeah, career move from Arsenal to Fredrikstad seems to have done him good (besides; Premiership turd = Norwegian Premier League gold. Witness Stig Johansen.). Probably got in because Eddie Gustafsson (the normal third choice keeper) was dropped by Lyn and the Swedish coaches figured they might as well replace him with someone else from Norway.

Actually, he's Egyptian/Finnish, but grew up in Sweden. :D It's not that strange, actually, Sweden have got quite substantial immigrant communities - and they're also very keen on playing football. There's a team founded by Assyrian refugees - Assyriska Södertälje - who played in the Premier League last season, and of course Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who, good as he is, doesn't quite give you the Viking associations.)
I was kinda aware of that, but my mind likes to go to the easy "blonde haired, blue eyed Swedes" stereotype. :p

I think Anders Limpar's (another Swedish Gooner!) dad was actually a Hungarian refugee from their revolution & isn't Larsson's dad a sailor from the Virgin Isles? &, I dunno about his heritage, but I'm guessing Dahlin wasn't of 100% Sandinavian stock either!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
I think Anders Limpar's (another Swedish Gooner!) dad was actually a Hungarian refugee from their revolution & isn't Larsson's dad a sailor from the Virgin Isles? &, I dunno about his heritage, but I'm guessing Dahlin wasn't of 100% Sandinavian stock either!
Hehe, very true. I remember seeing Dahlin on the TV aged about nine and wondering: "that's not Dahlin. Dahlin sounds Swedish, not Afro-American."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol

Anyway a bit late, but other than Australia I've been supporting T&T and Spain. T&T because they're awesome and Spain because my best mate is Spanish and they're entertaining to watch.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
I've made worse calls (Vandort!) this month, so what the hey.

What are you doing after Round 2? :p
Looking forward to beating Switzerland or Ukraine, and playing Argentina in the semis hopefully. :p

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
I've made worse calls (Vandort!) this month, so what the hey.

What are you doing after Round 2? :p
cause England have been setting the world on fire....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
cause England have been setting the world on fire....
Well they are unbeaten, have put the ball in the back of the net in each game and topped the group, so its not as if they squeaked through to the next round.

I would prefer a team like England to underperform and breaze through the 1st round and then continue to heat-up as the comp. continues.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SirBloody Idiot said:
Well, Paraguay put the ball in the back of the net for them...
At the end of the day still counts as an England goal...and England completely outplayed them.