• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Perverse Delight thread

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread is all, or mostly about the schadenfreude we should come clean on feeling when some sports team gets a terrible result. For instance, as much as I respect Pep Guardiola and Sir Alex Ferguson as coaching geniuses, there is something strangely satisfying about those Champions League nights when their teams get schooled.

For me though peak schadenfreude had to be when England were bounced out of the group stages of the Football, then Cricket the Rugby World Cup in 2014-15. The British press' hubris pisses me off.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England getting knocked out of any major tournament is never not hilarious.
What's your ATG England failure? It didn't knock them out but I really enjoyed the one at Euro 2004 where Zidane scored twice to beat them 2-1. The commentators were especially unbearable that day.

Hard to beat Iceland, though.

Last edited:

vcs

What's your ATG England failure? It didn't knock them out but I really enjoyed the one at Euro 2004 where Zidane scored twice to beat them 2-1. The commentators were especially unbearable that day.

The failure to qualify to Euro 2008 was really enjoyable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Picking English tournament failures is pretty much shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it?

Euro 2000 was a bit special though. Needing only a draw to qualify and leading 2-1 at half time we contrived to lose 3-2 to Romania thanks to Phil "****ing" Neville conceding a last minute penalty.

flibbertyjibber

Gerrard has to be the best ever along with the Saffer run out in the semi final v Australia.

Others that were enjoyable were Scotland being out of the World Cup in 98 before their official song had even had chance to chart and Zola Budd knocking over Mary Decker.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

**** there's so many.

Koeman not being sent off then almost immediately scoring a free kick in qualifying for USA 94 was pretty funny.

Germany roasting them in 2010 was a great one as well because none of the useless pundits we're forced to endure for major tournaments knew anything about the German team. I'm pretty sure one of the ITV pundits claimed pre-game looking at the lineups that none of the German XI would get in the England side.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Celtic losing to Raith Rovers in the 1994 League Cup Final is probably my ATG Celtic being ****e moment. Simpler times.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Does that beat SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious?
Yes.

Celtic were ****e in the early 90s.

They hadn't won a trophy for 5 years by this point. We'd won 6 titles on the spin, Celtic hadn't finished 2nd once. They had a First Division side in a cup final to end that trophy drought. They'd overturned an early deficit to be 2-1 up, then conceded an equaliser.

Then the immortal commentary line for the penalty shoot out - unthinkable for the captain to miss. Then he did.

I'd imagine for any Celtic fan my age or older it's probably their lowest moment.

Spark

Global Moderator
i feel we should exclude "england prematurely knocked out of ______" from this discussion or at least put those in their own box, makes it far too easy otherwise