• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter-finals

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not too many recent World Cups have four big countries that normally do well at major tournaments in the semis. I guess 2006 kinda did, but usually there's at least one Bulgaria/Korea/Croatia type in there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Netherlands. Dominated throughout the entire 125 odd minutes.

Cracking SF lineup now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd rather the Dutch went through but still a bit sad to see Costa Rica go. It wasn't like Greece- they didn't set up especially defensively, they just were miles and miles better at defending than attacking. That back line was incredibly well-drilled, basically playing fuzzball.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah totally agree with that.

The keeper substitution did rather look like Van Gaal wanting to be the story to me, but on the other hand it is a fairly logical move if you think about it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Each team left in has something detestable

Brazil - shadow of the great sides or even the late 90s side, cynical, benefitted from some strange refereeing
Germany - German
Argentina - see Brumby's post before KO
Holland - Man U

Ugh

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah totally agree with that.

The keeper substitution did rather look like Van Gaal wanting to be the story to me, but on the other hand it is a fairly logical move if you think about it.
Both true, but it did take brass balls the size of a stately home to do it all the same.

He'd have been crucified if yer Dutch had gone out.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thing I found strange was Costa Rica completely changed their strategy in the penalties after winning their last shootout. They put the foot through the ball last time and mostly went straight down the middle. This time they side-footed most of the penalties and made it easier for the keeper to pick which way they were going.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The new Euro format means there's a good chance we'll get to do it in 2 years tbf

Stapel

International Regular
Is this Holland's first ever shootout win? Or just at the WC?
Dutch shoot-outs:
We've lost in the EC 1/4 finals in 1996 vs France
We've lost in the WC semi finals in 1998 vs Brazil
We've lost in the EC semi finals in 2000 vs Italy (after missing two penalty kicks during normal play time.....)
We've beaten Sweden in the EC 2004 1/4 finals. I won't forget easily, sitting 5 rows behind the goal :) .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Both true, but it did take brass balls the size of a stately home to do it all the same.

He'd have been crucified if yer Dutch had gone out.
Especially if they'd gone out thanks to Krull being beaten during what was left of extra time. Which would have amused me no end, even if I didn't really want CR in the last four.

This WC really needs the semis and final to be good if it's going to maintain its reputation of being one of the best ever. Obviously the goal flow was going to slow down in the knock-out stages, but the quarters really weren't inspiring. Plus it's become increasingly apparent that there really isn't a great side to live in the memory, whoever wins. Best bet, as I said before, is that Messi really turns it on and the tournament is won by a genuine ATG.