• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for Aussies

Would you rather have/win

• The World Cup

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • The Ashes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I need both (spoilt by success)

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not winning the WC at home would've been a kick in the guts

Losing the Ashes away during footy season on a night when we beat the ABs and our swimmers rediscovered their mojo?

All seems a bit irrelevant as there is probably another one coming up next week

Last edited:

mr_mister

World cup. People voting ashes are crazy. blahblahblah tests are more pure than ODIs or whatever. a 10+ team comp will also mean more to me than a 2 team comp, regardless of the history. I don't hate England enough to care about a silly rivalry anyway, I just enjoy cricket. Besides we're a good chance at winning it next time it's held here anyway

Son Of Coco

The World Cup should without doubt be held on a higher pedal stool despite Australia winning every 2nd one of them on average and it being limited over cricket.
Obviously it should sit atop a high pedal stool, but not that high it can't reach the pedals.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I probably measure it by the hurt of not winning it, rather than the joy of the win. So probably the Ashes; particularly a home series.

social

Really devalued the whole thing recently IMO e.g. let's play a series every year and if things aren't going well, let's doctor the pitches

2 really ordinary teams that only remain important to their own countrymen

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'll take the ashes (men's and women's) over the world cups. Just as I'd rather beat the West Indies in a test series in the 80's. The World Cup is fun as well though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For now yeah. But given the 2019 World Cup will be followed by the Ashes, they've set themselves up perfectly to use the excuse of 'World Cup and Ashes too close' after that
Well yeah, it'll be down to the Aussies to try and shift it I guess, given it's our home WC so we shouldn't be too fussed. (In theory)

So the next away one the 2017? Am I right in thinking we've shifted from 18 months from Aus-English series and then 30 from Eng-Aus, whereas it was previously the other way round?

Shady Slim

International Coach
i think that aussies would go towards World Cup if we didn't win every second one

like if it was "WOOOO GO US WE WON A WORLD CUP THIS IS SO RARE" as opposed to a "hey dude you want another World Cup?" "not sure if there's any room left in my cabinet sorry mate"

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
like to see another series win in india. i've seen so many ashes and world cup wins already, it gets a little old.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
14 years since australia won a series in england. you surely can't tell me it would feel like just another ashes win at this stage.