• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I see the brief period of mod transparency and accountability seems to have passed.
Tbf, the new software has ruined me and I only go to my watched threads unless I have free time.

As my ban post alludes to, he got points for inappropriate posting on a brand new member's wall, and trolling in the ***** thread.

@trundler peeping tom is a reference to my username. I let him know when his point totals were expiring and I guess he just couldn't wait. This was of course before the team decided we won't be letting people know their point totals.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not letting people know their totals stinks, I've decided. Overnight takes a transparent system and makes it one that appears designed to catch people out. Almost as though you want to ban people.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That being said I do understand it's the XenForo default etc. But it still sucks. Might as well get rid of infractions now and go back to the old way of arbitrary bans

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Not letting people know their totals stinks, I've decided. Overnight takes a transparent system and makes it one that appears designed to catch people out. Almost as though you want to ban people.
Aside from the points James made in the other thread, it's really tough to appreciate just how much more work this would create for us. This software makes it pretty difficult to do what we were doing before, and just about everything becomes much more manual.

That being said I do understand it's the XenForo default etc. But it still sucks. Might as well get rid of infractions now and go back to the old way of arbitrary bans
I don't see how arbitrary bans would be better. You'll still know you have been infracted and can track things yourself from there. It won't be super accurate but I don't see this being an issue for almost everyone.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think I'm right that the previous system didnt even notify you of infractions, whereas this new one does. That seems like a big improvement.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aside from the points James made in the other thread, it's really tough to appreciate just how much more work this would create for us. This software makes it pretty difficult to do what we were doing before, and just about everything becomes much more manual.

I don't see how arbitrary bans would be better. You'll still know you have been infracted and can track things yourself from there. It won't be super accurate but I don't see this being an issue for almost everyone.
If the system is more work for you mods, that's a good thing. Gives you less time to clog threads up with drivel

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can still game the system if you keep track of all your infractions and estimate when they might expire. Dont be lazy ****s, the new system is fine

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've only had one infraction* in five years. Plus as Lord Protector I outrank everyone on this site, except maybe James, so good luck banning me.

*One proper one, anyway...