• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups from best to worst

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ranking each of the World Cups in my lifetime.

1999 - Awesome kits, awesome format, loads of teams which were in with a shout & lots of quality cricket with close results. Shame about that semi, though.

1992 - ATG kits, quality cricket (even if I was too young to realise), topsy-turvy group stage. Again, shame about that semi.

2011 - Was just such a relief to see Australia not winning.

1996 - Love Sri Lanka's fairytale win here. Also, was good to see the tournament expand & include more non-Test nations.

2019 - Just good cricket. Good format too. England is the best place for a CWC.

2003 - Good tournament but a bit one sided in the end. Kenya made it worthwhile.

2015 - Soulless tournament. Was hard to watch, especially the final.

2007 - Super annoying watching Australia chalk up that three-peat.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is this #1 now?
Yes absolutely. Lots of dramatic games, an ATG semi final, the greatest ever ODI game as final. The best batsman and fast bowlers in the world dominating the tournament. If World Cups were like this every time it'd be the most popular sport in the world.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the big thing about this World Cup is that it made me fall back in love with ODI's as a format.

For so long I found it difficult to care about it as there were a ****load of them, too many good players missing and there being runways galore. It just felt like a longer T20, and if I wanted to watch T20's....then I'd watch T20's.

When ODI's was at its best it was because it felt like something different, like the crossover path between the testing nature of Tests and the slogathons of T20's. Given that the worst excess of the "ODI's as longer T20's" format was England, I was kinda dreading this World Cup, especially because no associates.

Happily though my fears were unfounded. The format meant lots of great contests which also meant something, and the totals were a fair bit lower so it ebbed and flowed a lot better. It showed the potential of ODI's as a contest to the greatest extent.

The fact that you had two Top 10 or so ODI's (including a game that will probably never be topped in terms of drama) as the knockouts is just the icing on the cake. Especially when you consider most grand finals in WC history tend to be quite boring (especially in the modern game)

So yeah, this is clearly #1 despite that week where every game was rained out and it's going to take some ridiculous beating to top it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What do you mean? We're already 3 years into it
Why stop now? We can stretch it out until the 2023 World Cup. And when he scores 20(100) the commentators can still suck his dick saying that he timed the chase so well because India almost made the finals.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Thank you NZ and India for giving us a great semi (and thank you NZ for knocking out India).

Also thank you NZ and England for giving us the greatest ODI ever.

This probably was the best WC ever.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Although I haven't computed the average Run Rate per World Cup myself, but I am almost certain that every World Cup has been more high scoring than its previous one except 2015-vs-2019.

If someone has time to double-check and confirm, it will be an interesting finding.

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm just glad that I legit never noticed that the 2015 World Cup sucked, because from an NZ point of view the entire tournament was like a dream.

Flem274*

123/5
this is the only world cup where after it ended i have allegedly tried to order a cricket world cup from the mcdonalds drive through at 7am