• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 matches

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Match list will be useful

29 June 02.00 AEST Brazil v Chile; Belo Horizonte
29 June 06.00 AEST Colombia v Uruguay*; Rio de Janeiro
30 June 02.00 AEST Netherlands v Mexico; Fortaleza
30 June 06.00 AEST Costa Rica v Greece; Recife
1 July 02.00 AEST France v Nigeria; Brasília
1 July 06.00 AEST Germany v Algeria; Porto Alegre
2 July 02.00 AEST Argentina v Switzerland; São Paulo
2 July 06.00 AEST Belgium v Estados Unidos; Salvador

One entirely South American quarter. Must be a first, at least with non-UEFA teams.

Teams playing on the same day play each other.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, wanted to wait 'til they were finalised to put up the match list but people were already talking about the R16 matches in threads so, y'know

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Only six UEFA sides left in the last 16, which is the same as last World Cup I think. Five from South America and three from CONCACAF. The latter would be a first I think?

BeeGee

International Captain
I fancy Chile and Colombia on Sat.

USA v Belgium. The USA have half a chance there. Can't wait!

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2nd Round is great, all knockout but still loads of games.

If Algeria beat Germany it will be the best thing ever.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Feeling a bit sad about tomorrow though.First day of the tournament without any games on. Loads to look forward to still of course, but I always get a "closer to the end than we are to the beginning" feeling at this point. Always comes around far too quickly for my liking.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I know what you mean - time-wise we're only half way through, but we've now had 48 games and there are only 16 to go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I know what you mean - time-wise we're only half way through, but we've now had 48 games and there are only 16 to go.
Hadn't even thought of it like that :(

It's bad enough when you get to the 3 round of group games as well - where there's no longer 3 games in a row one after the other and you can watch them all.

Why does it all have to be over so quickly?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
On paper you'd back each of the group winners to progress but it never happens that way. I'm tipping USA to shock Belgium with a win on pens

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Only six UEFA sides left in the last 16, which is the same as last World Cup I think. Five from South America and three from CONCACAF. The latter would be a first I think?
Yeah. Also all three CONCACAF teams that have ever made it to the last 16 are here (Costa Rica already qualified once, but then USA were still **** and Mexico banned).

Less than half European sides qualified, not exactly a rousing argument for increasing their spots.

Mexico have lost at this stage five times in a row, looking good for Netherlands

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On paper you'd back each of the group winners to progress but it never happens that way. I'm tipping USA to shock Belgium with a win on pens
That's as pure a teamwork vs. individual quality match-up as you'll see.

I feel like Belgium's pattern of a frustrating first hour followed by good late counter-attacking might look a bit better against quality teams. Back four has plenty of mistakes in it though.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is dismal. I knew there weren't any matches today but I've still got withdrawals.

FIFA really missing a trick here by not having 17th-32nd position play-offs to fill in the empty days.

Alternatively, I suppose I could get a life. Meh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I'm sat around not knowing what to do. I actually watched an episode of Kitchen Nightmares earlier. Bad times.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If it was cricket people would be complaining that it hasn't finished yet and that there were daily games.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Howard Webb referring Brazil-Chile tomorrow. No point betting on a Chilean penalty/Brazil red card then.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know Jonathan Liew did that statistical proof that Webb's a choker but I still feel he's probably a better ref than most in Brazil. International tournaments and WC knockout games always make me appreciate how much the quality of Prem officiating has improved.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah. Also all three CONCACAF teams that have ever made it to the last 16 are here (Costa Rica already qualified once, but then USA were still **** and Mexico banned).

Less than half European sides qualified, not exactly a rousing argument for increasing their spots.

Mexico have lost at this stage five times in a row, looking good for Netherlands
& one of them is Greece, who are barely even a football side at all.

Against Yurp losing spots is that no Asian sides qualified at all. In fact I don't think they even won a single game.