• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Roy’s spot at the top should not be in doubt

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I expect Roy to score one jammy good innings in one of the next two tests and for someone to never shut up about it despite it being a total fluke that in no way justifies the selection logic.
Ie Jason Roy?

He's very much akin to Aaron Finch or Martin Guptill. You get the sense they could have been a very decent Test player in the middle order, but there's plenty of players in that category. Jason Roy is not a Test opener's backside. I'm not sure he respects the position enough to be so. He seemed to me to bring a desire to swagger in and bat like KP as early as the Ireland Test, and wasn't good enough to do so.

Woodster

International Captain
Seems that Roy's spot at the top was in fact doubtful. While he'd be best at 5 or 6 I certainly think he has a greater chance of scoring some significant runs now.
He's down to 4 for the next Test, so I guess the doubt existed.
This was kind of my point, the fact that a few inevitable failures will create such doubt and lead to him being dropped from the XI. I guess as he really hasn't convinced at the top, that a middle order spot is a fair compromise and in reality when you look at his game it is a position that seems better suited to him. Still think trying him at the top (and possibly have him returning there in the future) was the right option.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still think trying him at the top (and possibly have him returning there in the future) was the right option.
It clearly wasn't, but judging from your posting on the topic, I doubt you'd change your opinion if he made 36 ducks in a row and averaged 1.5.

Woodster

International Captain
It clearly wasn't, but judging from your posting on the topic, I doubt you'd change your opinion if he made 36 ducks in a row and averaged 1.5.
Clearly wasn’t? Ok, what was clearly the right selection in who to open the batting with, I’m intrigued?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apart from not scoring any runs, what’s happened to Hameed?

Only saw him in India but looked a well organised player

Has he changed his technique?

Woodster

International Captain
Apart from not scoring any runs, what’s happened to Hameed?

Only saw him in India but looked a well organised player

Has he changed his technique?
Couldn’t tell you with regards his technique but pretty sure he hasn’t made any dramatic changes in that respect. Looked a real promise but since getting injured his form and subsequently his confidence are shot.

Lancashire have opted to release him so hopefully a change of county and just a change of scene will benefit him in some way. Certainly not someone that should just be discarded but obviously a long way away from entering England reckoning again, despite our current woes.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The only way he's ever going to score runs is on flat, dead tracks without any level of sideways movement.

His technique is absolutely abysmal. I've never seen a top order player who plays as early as he does. So that's writing him off as an opener, and I'm sure England have better options to bat 4 or thereabouts.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can't see any reason for keeping him in the squad for The Oval. The Ashes are gone, so this must be the time to look at other options.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
He’s still hanging on. He batted at 5 in the first innings due to the night watchman at 3. Then in the second innings he batted at 4 but was in from the fifth ball of the first over.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
****'s sake. No one can accuse Ed of being trigger happy. Except perhaps Moeen Ali. Or Chris Woakes.

Batsman's game, innit?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They pretty much always give them a series now don't they. Apart from Pope who they gave two games.