• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby world cup fever

Quaggas

State Captain
Well, pull up your socks - if anyone can stop the AB juggernaut, it's Ostralia. My faith in PdV and his merry band of wankers is not at an all time high.

That said, there is only one team one can conceivably support...

ripper868

International Coach
Nah, we have no chance at all, nothing can stop the experience of this All Black Juggernaught. Nothing. Might as well start engraving the trophy really.

:ph34r:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Our "juggernaut" is heavily dependent on numbers 7 and 10 with no like replacements if injured.

Also every fricking time we are the juggernaut - some injury or ****iness seeps into our play.

I hope with all my heart we lose on Saturday it will make us hungry.

I am thinking of buying one of the new AB jerseys despite the advice you can get them cheaper online.

Don't want to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive from overseas.

ripper868

International Coach
Hurricane you and the rest of the country might as well buy the "2011 World Champions" t-shirts now. It is a foregone conclusion. There is no way anybody can beat the All Blacks in New Zealand.

The same way no team can beat the crusaders in finals...:ph34r:

Yes I am doing the old heap praise on NZ and hope the rest of NZ does the same so they forget to play their semi-final match again - it is their god given right after all.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is this a good time to bring up the chap whose tattoo celebrates both the 2007 and 2011 All Blacks victories?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
No software to download - I think HeathDavis just does all the work for us. We just check the thread from time to time to see what happened.

Click on the link and sign up - just follow the instructions pick a position that no one else has picked.

Best Wishes

Hurricane

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
So I was flipping through the channels today, and I came across the Canada vs USA rugby match. I'm guessing it was a warm-up for the World Cup.

Stoked to see Canada beat the US 28-22. That in itself is the World Cup for me. :cool:

Anyway, it's the first time I've actually watched a live rugby match for longer than 10 minutes. Still trying to understand the game in its entirety. Seems like a decent sport, there'd perhaps be more interest here if Canada were any good, which I'm not sure if they are or not (one of you rugby junkies to confirm). But it's all good, as long as we beat the US consistently. :p

Also, seems like rugby is quite similar to cricket in that only a handful of nations are any good at it or follow it religiously.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Canada has a good grass roots following of the game in BC - unlike Cricket it is played by people born in Canada as opposed to ex pats from other countries - I think Canada is ranked about 13th or 14th in the world.

Yes their arch rivals are the US and Canada normally wins.

I would like to see rugby take off in Canada more than cricket - as there is more potential for it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yep, there are only about 10 seriously rugby-following countries in the world. And three and half of them are this country.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I remember my high school being one of the few to have a Rugby team. But it was never really popular compared to a lot of the other sports. I see most of the national team consists of players from BC and the Toronto area. A couple of players seem to be from Europe as well.

I think I'm going to give Rugby a chance here and give it a watch during the World Cup.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I can count about 8 teams - then there are others I am not sure about
Is the game followed in Argentina - probably not but I have met an Argentinian fan before so maybe...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I seem to remember there being a big, noisy crowd when the ABs played in Argentina once. But I might be imagining that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can count about 8 teams - then there are others I am not sure about
Is the game followed in Argentina - probably not but I have met an Argentinian fan before so maybe...
Home nations: 4, Tri-Nations: 3, Pacific Islands: 3 plus France, Argentina & Italy(ish).

It's surprisingly sizeable in Japan, but this isn't reflected in their ever-poor national side.

Canada actually made the world cup Quarter-Finals in 1991, thanks to wins over Fiji and Romania.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It appears I've got a good dose of the thread title - I just felt compelled to cough up the healthy sum of money for a ticket to the NZ v Tonga game. Really looking forward to it.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
It appears I've got a good dose of the thread title - I just felt compelled to cough up the healthy sum of money for a ticket to the NZ v Tonga game. Really looking forward to it.
What price is the cheapest ticket still available for that match? I have tickets for a few of the games at North Harbour for pretty reasonable prices.