• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar and T20 International Cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Is it a wrong thing to play for money then? 8-)
No, isn't. But lets not be precious about calling a spade a spade.

He had retired from the international Format BEFORE IPL was even thought out. Nobody said he couldn't play in domestic T20s because of that.
Nice, looking forward to seeing him play the Syed Mushtaq Trophy this year :happy:

Sir Alex

Banned
No, isn't. But lets not be precious about calling a spade a spade.

Nice, looking forward to seeing him play the Syed Mushtaq Trophy this year :happy:
Don't be lame. I asked what is wrong with participating in domestic cricket after retiring from international cricket?

If you want to call a spade a spade, call everyone including kumble, Dravid, Gilchrist, Warne, Hayden, Ganguly, Bond etc.

Let BCCI not schedule any India matches around that time. Then he might participate in that like he did in 2007.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Don't be lame. I asked what is wrong with participating in domestic cricket after retiring from international cricket?

If you want to call a spade a spade, call everyone including kumble, Dravid, Gilchrist, Warne, Hayden, Ganguly, Bond etc.
I'm not going to go through the bother of compiling a list here. Needless to say it applies to anyone playing the IPL and not wanting to be considered for national selection or the state T20 tournament. Its their rightful choice, just as it is mine for calling them out for their motives.

Let BCCI not schedule any India matches around that time. Then he might participate in that like he did in 2007.
There were no matches scheduled during the majority of Mumbai's matches last year.

Sir Alex

Banned
I'm not going to go through the bother of compiling a list here. Needless to say it applies to anyone playing the IPL and not wanting to be considered for national selection or the state T20 tournament. Its their rightful choice, just as it is mine for calling them out for their motives.

What is this "calling out"? Every one knows money is the only factor Tendulkar agreed to play in IPL. I don't find anything wrong in that considering he gave up International T20s well before that and stuck to his line.

Tendulkar indeed played state T20 when India was not playing any cricket, check out 2007. :p

There were no matches scheduled during the majority of Mumbai's matches last year.

Mumbai played it's matches on consecutive days from Oct 20 to Oct 24 this year. India - Australia ODI series started on Oct 25. :)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What is this "calling out"? Every one knows money is the only factor Tendulkar agreed to play in IPL. I don't find anything wrong in that considering he gave up International T20s well before that and stuck to his line.

Tendulkar indeed played state T20 when India was not playing any cricket, check out 2007. :p
And he didn't in 2009 when India weren't playing any cricket. I'd have a lot more respect for his stance if he played the domestic T20 comp that didn't pay as well too.

Mumbai played it's matches on consecutive days from Oct 20 to Oct 24 this year. India - Australia ODI series started on Oct 25. :)
So no overlap, and yet he didn't play. Its simple.

Sir Alex

Banned
And he didn't in 2009 when India weren't playing any cricket. I'd have a lot more respect for his stance if he played the domestic T20 comp that didn't pay as well too.
I'd agree with you, but it happens no such thing happened in 2008-09 :sleep:

Family unhappy with treatment meted out to Mushtaq Ali Trophy

So no overlap, and yet he didn't play. Its simple.
8-) Yeah he should've played a domestic t20 competition one day before start of a major ODI series? Please don't act foolish. You are much better than that. Tell me where do you find a precedent in that case?

Overall 2/10 for the fishing attempt. But FAIL.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd agree with you, but it happens no such thing happened in 2008-09 :sleep:

Family unhappy with treatment meted out to Mushtaq Ali Trophy
Who said anything about 2008? Are you even aware there was a tournament played in 2009?

8- Yeah he should've played a domestic t20 competition one day before start of a major ODI series? Please don't act foolish. You are much better than that. Tell me where do you find a precedent in that case?
Unless all of Mumbai's matches were played a day before the ODI series, your argument is moot. There are players who have just played a domestic T20 final 5 days before a T20 World Cup. A meaningless ODI series bears no comparison.

Overall 2/10 for the fishing attempt. But FAIL.
Thats going to give me sleepless nights :(

Sir Alex

Banned
Who said anything about 2008? Are you even aware there was a tournament played in 2009?
Duh, there have been only 2 Mushtaq Ali tourneys held

2007-08 - Sachin participated
2009-10 - Clashed with Ind-Aus series
Unless all of Mumbai's matches were played a day before the ODI series, your argument is moot. There are players who have just played a domestic T20 final 5 days before a T20 World Cup. A meaningless ODI series bears no comparison.
A league match in a 2nd level T20 competition is more important than an ODI series with Australia :wacko:

Unless all the matches Tendulkar missed were more than 5 days prior to the Aus series, your argument is moot as well.

Thats going to give me sleepless nights :(
:yawn:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Duh, there have been only 2 Mushtaq Ali tourneys held

2007-08 - Sachin participated
2009-10 - Clashed with Ind-Aus series
So why mention a non existent 2008 one? :laugh:

A league match in a 2nd level T20 competition is more important than an ODI series with Australia :wacko:

Unless all the matches Tendulkar missed were more than 5 days prior to the Aus series, your argument is moot as well.
Yeah, because players needed to play either all five or none at all. Oh wait, they didn't.

Sir Alex

Banned
So why mention a non existent 2008 one? :laugh:
So your argument below is stupid as well :laugh:

And he didn't in 2009 when India weren't playing any cricket.

Yeah, because players needed to play either all five or none at all. Oh wait, they didn't.
Yeah he should be playing a meaningless T20 league match 4 days before an ODI series between World No.1 and World No.2, when would he then join the squad? :laugh: Further where is proof that BCCI would have released him to play even if he wanted to? :laugh:

Also I asked you where is the precedent??:laugh:

Last edited:

shrik

Cricket Spectator
10dulkar is 10dulkar...

he is too smart to decide which tornament to play and which to not...
When India won 2007 WC than only he must have decided not to play 20 20 INT again..

Thats how he should do it...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
So your argument below is stupid as well :laugh:
It says 2009. Not 2008. Why are you so confused?

Yeah he should be playing a meaningless T20 league match 4 days before an ODI series between World No.1 and World No.2, when would he then join the squad? :laugh: Further where is proof that BCCI would have released him to play even if he wanted to? :laugh:

Also I asked you where is the precedent??:laugh:
Precedent is indian players playing an IPL final 5 days before a T20 world cup. Already been mentioned. Try and keep up. It takes longer and more toll to travel halfway round the globe than to join a squad for the next tournament right at home. Its pretty simple if you don't let your fanboyism cloud your thinking. :happy:

Sir Alex

Banned
It says 2009. Not 2008. Why are you so confused?
Easy on the lies mate. You said India didn't play any cricket in 2009. :laugh:

Precedent is indian players playing an IPL final 5 days before a T20 world cup. Already been mentioned. Try and keep up. It takes longer and more toll to travel halfway round the globe than to join a squad for the next tournament right at home. Its pretty simple if you don't let your fanboyism cloud your thinking. :happy:
No that's not precedent. Precedent is when an Indian player actually appeared in a gully-danda contest within 5 days preceding a major ODI tournament. Travelling isn't playing as the chances of you getting injured etc are minimal. I think you are confusing commonsense with fanboyism. :cool:

I request you to please find the source which said Sachin turned down playing in that tournament (which for all purposes is a second tier tournament to IPL), despite BCCI releasing him. Because the request has to come from Mumbai team, and BCCI has to grant that. Tendulkar in hardly a party in this unless he refused to partake in that after getting BCCI permission.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Easy on the lies mate. You said India didn't play any cricket in 2009. :laugh:
Now you're just being ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain cell would understand that I meant while the 2009 Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy was on. Its a pretty obvious implication. If you really think I claimed India didn't play any cricket in the entire year, you're beyond help.

No that's not precedent. Precedent is when an Indian player actually appeared in a gully-danda contest within 5 days preceding a major ODI tournament. Travelling isn't playing as the chances of you getting injured etc are minimal. I think you are confusing commonsense with fanboyism. :cool:
You're just nitpicking by refusing to equate one T20 tournament with another. Its like saying India didn't win the World T20 in 2007 because there was no precedent of them winning a multinational T20 tournament earlier. You're missing the concept of precedents not being required to be carbon copies of each other. IPL is 'gully danda' cricket too, FYI. Besides, I must have missed the part where travelling from one part of India to another induces more jet lag and tires you out lesser than a 24 hour flight across the globe. Not to mention getting used to the different conditions etc. :-O

I request you to please find the source which said Sachin turned down playing in that tournament (which for all purposes is a second tier tournament to IPL), despite BCCI releasing him. Because the request has to come from Mumbai team, and BCCI has to grant that. Tendulkar in hardly a party in this unless he refused to partake in that after getting BCCI permission.
Haha, yet more nitpicking. If Sachin wanted to play, he would have played. You're just trying to dream up scenarios and excuses for your hero.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shri

Mr. Glass
I am about to browse cyanide and happiness gijoe. I suggest you do the same and keep your sanity intact.

Regards,

Shri.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To say it's not for money is ridiculous. I'd do the same, but of course it's for money. If he cared about the format, he'd want to win a WC trophy, especially as it looks like the rest of the Indian batsmen think the bouncer hasn't existed in cricket since bodyline.

Sir Alex

Banned
Now you're just being ridiculous. Anyone with half a brain cell would understand that I meant while the 2009 Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy was on. Its a pretty obvious implication. If you really think I claimed India didn't play any cricket in the entire year, you're beyond help.
India did play Australia during the Syed Musthaq trophy. How many times I've to say that to register in your brain :laugh:

You're just nitpicking by refusing to equate one T20 tournament with another. Its like saying India didn't win the World T20 in 2007 because there was no precedent of them winning a multinational T20 tournament earlier. You're missing the concept of precedents not being required to be carbon copies of each other. IPL is 'gully danda' cricket too, FYI. Besides, I must have missed the part where travelling from one part of India to another induces more jet lag and tires you out lesser than a 24 hour flight across the globe. Not to mention getting used to the different conditions etc. :-O
Don't be facetious. And don't try to evade.I shall repeat, where is the precedent when 4 days before the start of a major series, a star player is asked to participate in a obscure domestic competition??8-)

Haha, yet more nitpicking. If Sachin wanted to play, he would have played. You're just trying to dream up scenarios and excuses for your hero.
Really? I thought he was employed by BCCI and contracted by them to feature in the tournaments they want him to play. :wacko: There is no need for excuses here, by resorting to such vague terms, you are just exposing the shallowness of your own posts.

:ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
India did play Australia during the Syed Musthaq trophy. How many times I've to say that to register in your brain :laugh:
You could say it a million times, and it would still not alter the fact that Mumbai played before the series started. I suggest you check the dates.

Don't be facetious. And don't try to evade.I shall repeat, where is the precedent when 4 days before the start of a major series, a star player is asked to participate in a obscure domestic competition??8-)
You're the one evading the fact that many Indian players played a T20 finaljust before travelling around the globe for a T20 World Cup. Thats precedent. You just refuse to accept it because it doesn't suit your argument.

Really? I thought he was employed by BCCI and contracted by them to feature in the tournaments they want him to play. :wacko: There is no need for excuses here, by resorting to such vague terms, you are just exposing the shallowness of your own posts.

:ph34r:
Er no, if the BCCI had that much of a say in what he could and couldn't play, they'd have had his ass on a plane to the T20 WC pronto. You're just trying to shift blame from one party to another. If Sachin wanted to play, he'd have played. If Sachin doesn't want to play, he doesn't. Simple as.

Sir Alex

Banned
You could say it a million times, and it would still not alter the fact that Mumbai played before the series started. I suggest you check the dates.
How many days before is the question.
You're the one evading the fact that many Indian players played a T20 finaljust before travelling around the globe for a T20 World Cup. Thats precedent. You just refuse to accept it because it doesn't suit your argument.
It's not a precedent. Tell me a situation when an Indian player was released to feature in a domestic match 4 days before a series. It has been widely criticised that players didn't get sufficient time to prepare for their matches anyway, but that's not relevant here.

Er no, if the BCCI had that much of a say in what he could and couldn't play, they'd have had his ass on a plane to the T20 WC pronto. You're just trying to shift blame from one party to another. If Sachin wanted to play, he'd have played. If Sachin doesn't want to play, he doesn't. Simple as.
Wrong. Tendulkar has already retired from T20Is, so BCCI cannot push him to play those. He is contracted to play test cricket and ODI cricket for BCCI.

There is no need for blame game here. BCCI is right in not releasing Tendulkar to play in a meaningless T20 tournament 4 days before the Aus ODI series started. Indian cricket is not Sachin's fiefdom so that he can defy BCCI and play whenever he liked.

Curious, why no mention of Dravid, Kumble, Ganguly?

Status
Not open for further replies.