• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round Group F - Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh

pasag

RTDAS
Gelman, you know what to do. Get out the ban stick.
Something is not right here and someone is to blame it's either:

a) Australia's injury managment and Kontouris or
b) Watson, who isn't being honest about his fitness

Whatever it is, this stuff shouldn't be happening in such a professional side. Could expect it with England (re Flintoff) but not Australia.

pup11

International Coach
Watson is really screwing up with his career and i think selectors might be running out of patience with him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Something is not right here and someone is to blame it's either:

a) Australia's injury managment and Kontouris or
b) Watson, who isn't being honest about his fitness

Whatever it is, this stuff shouldn't be happening in such a professional side. Could expect it with England (re Flintoff) but not Australia.
Yeah, it was quite obvious he wasn't fully fit when he was running in to bowl. A couple of days ago I heard he was bowling at 80% in the nets and he looked about that in the game too. He cranked it up a notch after his wicket and he proved to be his demise again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i think selectors might be running out of patience with him.
You often say that, but what basis do you actually have for it? They've never shown any indication that they are running out of patience with him. You can think that they might run out of patience with him based on nothing, but you can't think that they actually are unless you have something to back that up.

Laurrz

International Debutant
woop woop!!!

great bowling performance but not so for lankas batting performance

hopefully we can knock these runs off

pup11

International Coach
@Princey, The Aussie selectors won't be happy with the way Watto keeps on breaking down between a game (its not the first time it has happened with him) , it embarrassing for a professional side like Australia.
I like Watto and i want him to do well but he is doing himself no favours by getting injured all the time.
So if were a selector i would ask Watto to play through a whole season of domestic cricket without getting injured and then consider him for the Australian team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
@Princey, The Aussie selectors won't be happy with the way Watto keeps on breaking down between a game (its not the first time it has happened with him) , it embarrassing for a professional side like Australia.
I like Watto and i want him to do well but he is doing himself no favours by getting injured all the time.
So if were a selector i would ask Watto to play through a whole season of domestic cricket without getting injured and then consider him for the Australian team.
Yeah, that's all just your opinion of what might happen though. You have no reason to believe they are losing patience with him. It is you this is losing patience with him, really.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor Watto, he's got to be gutted :(

I can't believe I'm saying this, but he should stop bowling. He's talented enough with the bat to force his way into the selection battle with that alone, especially if he focusses on that. And he's had hardly any injuries off that back of that. I can't think this is doing any good for his mental stability, let alone his career.

pup11

International Coach
I won't doubt Kontouris and the injury management, because they have managed blokes like Lee, Clarke, Hayden and now Ponting very well and Kontouris has assessed the injuries of those blokes pretty well and when these blokes have come back on the field they looked 100% fit.
But there is no doubt Watson's body is not too good when it comes down to healing so he should be realistic when he sets goals and deadlines for his comeback and most importantly he should be honest with himself, Tait is a pretty good example (who is nursing his operated elbow) he could have toured India but he and the team management prefered to him playing a few domestic games before making a comeback into international cricket.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watson injured again, personally I'm beginning not to care too much. Australia giving Sri Lanka an absolutely towelling here, excellent.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I won't doubt Kontouris and the injury management, because they have managed blokes like Lee, Clarke, Hayden and now Ponting very well and Kontouris has assessed the injuries of those blokes pretty well and when these blokes have come back on the field they looked 100% fit.
But there is no doubt Watson's body is not too good when it comes down to healing so he should be realistic when he sets goals and deadlines for his comeback and most importantly he should be honest with himself, Tait is a pretty good example (who is nursing his operated elbow) he could have toured India but he and the team management prefered to him playing a few domestic games before making a comeback into international cricket.
I don't know whose fault it is... it could be neither and just one of those things. I have to say I've been worried since I saw Kontouris quoted yesterday saying that if it was ODI Watson would need more bowling under his belt, but as it was twenty20 it would be okay just having done a four over stint in the nets at 100% to pass the fitness test.

pup11

International Coach
Australia should win this game easily now, but i am worried for tomorrow's game now. With only Haddin and Hilfy left on the Aussie reserves bench (with both Ponting and Watto injured), who would come into the team for tomorrow's game??