• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi final 1: Brazil vs Germany

Spark

Global Moderator
08 JUL 2014 - 17:00 Local time
SEMI-FINALS
Estadio Mineirao
Belo Horizonte
BRAZIL v GERMANY

Guessing there'll be a fair amount of away support here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe so many Poms are supporting Jerry. It's so weird, like they've forgotten the number of times they've been Rodgered at tourneys by the Bosch.

Likewise with the favourable mentions for the Argies.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Netherlands and Germany have a rivalry right? So we could get Brazil vs Argentina or Netherlands vs Germany? Those would be the best two combinations.

morgieb

Netherlands and Germany have a rivalry right? So we could get Brazil vs Argentina or Netherlands vs Germany? Those would be the best two combinations.
OH YES. My sister's boyfriend who's Dutch absolutely HATES Germany.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't believe so many Poms are supporting Jerry. It's so weird, like they've forgotten the number of times they've been Rodgered at tourneys by the Bosch.
Shows how far Brazil have fallen.

It has been a very slow process but who would have ever thought that the neutral would want Germany to win over Brazil? I know there are some on here that actively like the German side, I some somewhat ambivalent towards them but want them to win this one for sure.

Burgey

Yeah it's fair to say this Brazil side isn't by any stretch a great side to watch or even a great unit. Yet they're two wins away from being world champions.

I wonder how much of this wc's greatness has actually been a lack of a real stand out side which had dominated all its opponents or which was a raging favourite going in? There also isn't that sense of destiny about the home side like there was with, say, France in 98. It's really been a very open tourney, and IMO much better for it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I hope they both lose.

I've never been a Brazil lover anyway in fact they have always irritated me. I guess it's that none of the Brazil sides I've ever watched have been the 'traditional' Brazil. Had some awesome players through the 90s and 00s though. Reckon their 98 squad was probably better than the two that won it before and after. But they win a lot. I'm small time and don't like that.

That being said. **** Germany.

Ugh.

Uppercut

I hope they both lose.

I've never been a Brazil lover anyway in fact they have always irritated me. I guess it's that none of the Brazil sides I've ever watched have been the 'traditional' Brazil. Had some awesome players through the 90s and 00s though. Reckon their 98 squad was probably better than the two that won it before and after. But they win a lot. I'm small time and don't like that.

That being said. **** Germany.

Ugh.
I always liked them while wanting them to lose, if that makes sense. I felt the same about Spain too, and Barca against any non-major club.

Now they're just Uruguay, possibly even filthier. Germany haven't got their blitzkrieg game going since the Portugal game (Reus's injury was huge for them) but they do noticeably dive and time-waste far less than the South American sides.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I always liked them while wanting them to lose, if that makes sense. I felt the same about Spain too, and Barca against any non-major club.

Now they're just Uruguay, possibly even filthier. Germany haven't got their blitzkrieg game going since the Portugal game (Reus's injury was huge for them) but they do noticeably dive and time-waste far less than the South American sides.
Yeah, this is basically my stance as well.

Absolutely desperate for Germany to get it done. I don't love them by any stretch, but I can't stand Big Phil and Brazil, I don't find Oranje at all likeable, and the same goes for Argentina.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The Brazil 2002 side on paper looks like it really should have been really good to watch with Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho all playing to a high level. I don't really remember them being particularly great to watch though, even if I don't remember them being boring either. I'm not sure they actually played anyone decent to measure them against in the whole tournament tbf although I could be wrong. Certainly Germany were pretty poor about that sort of time, didn't they play Turkey or someone in the semi finals? And England in the quarters were, well, England.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Brazil of 2002 were quite entertaining iirc. Not necessarily because they were really good, but they were quite fun. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Rivaldo were all great around that time, and then they had other funny players like Roque Junior, Kleberson and the Middlesbrough Juninho.

I doubt they were as effective at winning games as this current Brazil team, but if memory serves me correctly most teams were much less conservative when reaching the knockout rounds in 2002. Mind you, whilst they may not have been particularly amazing I think they get a bit of a raw deal when it comes to people assessing their overall quality these days. It's easy to forget, as they've faded away pretty badly since, but Turkey were actually a really handy side in 2002. I don't really think Germany were as bad as is often made out these days either.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brazil 2002 was definitely a better side than this one. They were certainly not classic Brazil (which most of us have never seen) but they had loads of good players, add Lucio, Roberto Carlos and Cafu to the ones Sledger has already mentioned.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Brazil of 2002 were quite entertaining iirc. Not necessarily because they were really good, but they were quite fun. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Rivaldo were all great around that time, and then they had other funny players like Roque Junior, Kleberson and the Middlesbrough Juninho.

I doubt they were as effective at winning games as this current Brazil team, but if memory serves me correctly most teams were much less conservative when reaching the knockout rounds in 2002. Mind you, whilst they may not have been particularly amazing I think they get a bit of a raw deal when it comes to people assessing their overall quality these days. It's easy to forget, as they've faded away pretty badly since, but Turkey were actually a really handy side in 2002. I don't really think Germany were as bad as is often made out these days either.
Germany certainly were. They fluked the final in between two absolutely dreadful performances at the Euros. I've just looked up their squad and it's a who's who of utter ****.

Burgey

It's weird how a lot of people expect Brazil to play how they used to in the 70s and 80s despite the game becoming that much more professional and hard edged everywhere else. Let's be honest, if your own side went for all out flair and attack and was consistently beaten, there'd be hell to pay. But for some reason we all want Brazil to keep playing like it's 1970, and when they basically do what every other country does, we seem to say what a shame it is they aren't the Brazil of old.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
This is Germany's tournament to lose from here really. They have a squad loaded with talent and the experience of having played at the business end of the big tournaments. If Joachim Low can't win this, he has to step aside for Euro 2016.

Scolari is a better coach than I think he is given credit for on these forums but he has his work cut out without Neymar and Thiago though. They may be able to produce a fabulous performance to get past Germany but can they win two big games in a row without Neymar. I don't think they can.

The Dutch have played well so far ; very determined - the senior guys like Kuyt, Van Persie, Sneijder are obviously keen to end their careers with a bang. I didn't think they'd get this far tbh - think they can definitely beat Argentina but Germany are a better outfit.

I thought Argentina were pretty good against Belgium - they have slowly grown into this tournament. Demichelis has strengthened their defence without question - he's definitely better than Federico Fernandez. A back four of Rojo, Demi, Garay and Zabaleta is actually quite decent - they won't be broken easily by the Dutch.
The key against the Dutch is gonna be in midfield - Di Maria is out and the Dutch will attempt keep tight rein on Messi. They'll need extra avenues of creativity from someone else ideally.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's not that I don't especially rate Scolari, I think he's actually quite a decent (international) manager. I just can't stand the bloke.

The fact that he's been having a cry about how Neymar was unfairly targetted by Colombia for example just reeks of hypocrisy, given the fact that Fernandinho appeared to have been instructed to just kick James Rodriguez to death in the last match.

On the wider point about Brazil, I don't really think it's even so much about people wanting to see the Brazil of old, just that they'd like to see a bit of flair. There's no real reason why you can't have this and do a professional job. The problem is Brazil seem to have adopted a "kick everyone" strategy and it's just so ugly to watch.

Uppercut

It's weird how a lot of people expect Brazil to play how they used to in the 70s and 80s despite the game becoming that much more professional and hard edged everywhere else. Let's be honest, if your own side went for all out flair and attack and was consistently beaten, there'd be hell to pay. But for some reason we all want Brazil to keep playing like it's 1970, and when they basically do what every other country does, we seem to say what a shame it is they aren't the Brazil of old.
Spain just spent six straight years dicking all over the idea that you have to play like modern Brazil to win trophies.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
On the wider point about Brazil, I don't really think it's even so much about people wanting to see the Brazil of old, just that they'd like to see a bit of flair. There's no real reason why you can't have this and do a professional job. The problem is Brazil seem to have adopted a "kick everyone" strategy and it's just so ugly to watch.
This. I don't think we all expect them to play in a way that's not sustainable in the modern game. Or that they don't have the quality for anymore. They could be trying to mix the flair and the defense but they have done less of that than Germany and Holland. That being said they have the right to play how they want. But if this is how they choose to play they can't assume they will still garner neutral support and be peoples 2nd team like old Brazil.