• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Series Stats

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who would've picked Mitch Marsh to average over 100?

Out of his 4 innings he had 2 brilliant hundreds, potentially even better a marathon 29* to "save" the game in Melbourne, and just the 1 failure.

Never thought I'd see the day.

Spark

Global Moderator
What's the fewest ever number of 5-fors in a 5 Test series? This must be a contender.

Spark

Global Moderator
Who would've picked Mitch Marsh to average over 100?

Out of his 4 innings he had 2 brilliant hundreds, potentially even better a marathon 29* to "save" the game in Melbourne, and just the 1 failure.

Never thought I'd see the day.
How about David Warner, striking at 52 with one six? Would have gotten extremely good odds on that.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nine hundreds despite Root giving up plenty of chances, and only three five wicket innings. I know taking big hauls is harder than scoring hundreds, and I reckon Aus is one of the hardest places to do it, but that's a bit depressing. FWIW 06/07 went 11/4 though. Says a lot about our pitches I think.

PlayerMatInnsOversMdnsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveEconSR510
PJ Cummins (AUS)59197.143567234/398/11924.652.8751.400
MA Starc (AUS)48162.332518225/888/13723.543.1844.310
JR Hazlewood (AUS)59190.549544215/488/14025.902.8554.510
NM Lyon (AUS)59260.161614214/606/10529.232.3674.300
JM Anderson (ENG)58223.370473175/436/11727.822.1178.810
SCJ Broad (ENG)58195.055525114/515/9547.722.69106.300
CR Woakes (ENG)47167.032495104/365/12049.502.96100.200
C Overton (ENG)2359.0422663/1054/11637.663.8359.000
A comparison of bowling strike rates and economies says a lot about how effective our attack was as a unit, and the advantage of having real pace. With no one else penetrative at the other end Anderson had to work much harder for his wickets, while our much more threatening pace attack combined with Lyon's ability to tie down the batsmen let Starc be much more profligate.

Last edited:

stephen

Yeah the whole series was strange like that.

Slow batting with the Marsh brothers batting well and the bowling figures not showing a dominant performance. In fact the leading wicket taker took no 5 wicket hauls!

TheJediBrah

How about David Warner, striking at 52 with one six? Would have gotten extremely good odds on that.
Especially given he actually had a decent series runs-wise. If you told me those stats would happen, I'd assume Warner had an absolute stinker and failed almost every innings.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fact the leading wicket taker took no 5 wicket hauls!
Same thing happened in 2010/11.

Quite interesting that both the highest innings and best bowling figures actually came from England players.

Who puts 4s and 6s instead of 50s and 100s and doesn't include bowling averages?

Starfighter

For interest's sake Broad's average in Australia is now worse than Anderson's (37.17 vs 35.43)

Bijed

International Regular
Regarding Root's average in the OP, cricinfo has him at 47.25 since they (and the BBC) show him as retired hurt in the final innings, whereas Cricbuzz has him as retired out. I'm assuming Cricinfo/BBC are correct, but it strikes me as interesting that two potential stats sources could differ because of things like this

Victor Ian

International Coach
Of Mitch's innings it is the Melbourne innings that has won me over. Things weren't great for England but Anderson has raised his status in my eyes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Regarding Root's average in the OP, cricinfo has him at 47.25 since they (and the BBC) show him as retired hurt in the final innings, whereas Cricbuzz has him as retired out. I'm assuming Cricinfo/BBC are correct, but it strikes me as interesting that two potential stats sources could differ because of things like this
Pretty sure when I checked the scorecard this morning cricinfo had Root as retired out on their own scorecard.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
For interest's sake Broad's average in Australia is now worse than Anderson's (37.17 vs 35.43)
Anderson does pretty well if you remove the horrible 2006/07 series where he was coming off the back of a serious injury having not played the English county season, and basically used as cannon fodder by the Aussie batsmen

Gob

International Coach
Anderson does pretty well if you remove the horrible 2006/07 series where he was coming off the back of a serious injury having not played the English county season, and basically used as cannon fodder by the Aussie batsmen
May remove 13/14 as well

TheJediBrah

So weird how players stats look better when you take out their worst performances

Pretty sure when I checked the scorecard this morning cricinfo had Root as retired out on their own scorecard.
he definitely should be retired hurt, why would he be retired out? Doesn't make any sense

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
In fairness to the Anderson of 2006, that was during the period Troy Cooley was buggering up his action.

Victor Ian

International Coach
So weird how players stats look better when you take out their worst performances

he definitely should be retired hurt, why would he be retired out? Doesn't make any sense
Either way, it is yet another (albeit unfortunate) way that Root managed to miss out on converting another 50 to a 100,