• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Songs for deaf lovers

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know how much mileage there's likely to be in this, but I wondered if anyone has songs they associate with certain sporting events or occasions? Not the official theme music or anthems, just something personal to you.

For no apparent reason I associate You to Me Are Everything by the Real Thing with the England v West Indies Test series of 1976 and Puppy Love by Donny Osmond with the 1972 Ashes. They were hits at the relevant time, but nothing much to do with anything.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I had a mental trawl through the series in the 1970s and early 1980s, the ones when I had any sort of interest in the songs of the day, and really couldn't think of anything. I could name songs from those years, but in all honesty I couldn't link them to sporting events. The nearest was actually a few years later in 1997, when 'Things can only get better' was all over the airwaves and frequently accompanied the new Labour government. Around the same time, England won a live Ashes test for the first time in ages after winning all 3 of the ODIs before it, so it felt appropriate.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I always associate Underworld's Born Slippy with Euro 96.

Mainly because I was in Ibiza ('avin' it large, etc) for the latter stages and literally every pub or club seemed to have it on hourly repeat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

A song so thoroughly 2010 World Cup that it disappeared completely when the tournament ended, and would now never be played for any other reason than to be like "hey, remember the 2010 World Cup?"

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The thread title confuses me. Is it referring to lovers who are deaf, or lovers of deaf people?

Anyway, this always reminds me of the Lara 400* WI/Eng series in 2003. I think Sky used it for their coverage.

[VIDEO]

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

A song so thoroughly 2010 World Cup that it disappeared completely when the tournament ended, and would now never be played for any other reason than to be like "hey, remember the 2010 World Cup?"
Haha, it's actually a pretty good song imo. When I listen to it, it tricks me into feeling nostalgic, before I catch myself and remember that WC 2010 was arse.

Reactions: vcs

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This one's pretty silly, but it just sprung to mind because I remembered some friends changing the chorus line to 'Luigi Riva' during the 1970 WC.

Uppercut

Haha, it's actually a pretty good song imo. When I listen to it, it tricks me into feeling nostalgic, before I catch myself and remember that WC 2010 was arse.
What are you talking about, WC 2010 was ****ing great.

One of the weaker WCs, but all WCs are ****ing great.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The thread title confuses me. Is it referring to lovers who are deaf, or lovers of deaf people?
The thread title is a reference to Paul Daniels.
The thread itself was because I, for no reason in particular, associate songs that are nothing to do with it to certain sporting events. It looks like I’m pretty much alone. Gracie Fields really has nothing to do with the 1988 Olympic Hockey Gold Medal.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The thread title is a reference to Paul Daniels.
The thread itself was because I, for no reason in particular, associate songs that are nothing to do with it to certain sporting events. It looks like I’m pretty much alone. Gracie Fields really has nothing to do with the 1988 Olympic Hockey Gold Medal.
Beyond her immediate friends and family nicknaming her 'Curley'? Not many people know that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Beyond her immediate friends and family nicknaming her 'Curley'? Not many people know that.
Jeez, that's impressively niche knowledge.

Literally the only field hockey player I can name is Sean Kerly, so mentally patting myself on the back for getting the reference.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What are you talking about, WC 2010 was ****ing great.

One of the weaker WCs, but all WCs are ****ing great.
Haha the only really great thing I remember was watching Germany. Especially them beating England.

The rest of the tournament felt like a massive slog from what I remember. Lots of really turgid games. Though again, that might just be England colouring my memories.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez, that's impressively niche knowledge.

Literally the only field hockey player I can name is Sean Kerly, so mentally patting myself on the back for getting the reference.
Likewise, and it was a very big deal at the time. Barry Davies' typically partial commentary after one of the goals helped. 'Where were the German defence? And frankly, who cares?'

Uppercut

Haha the only really great thing I remember was watching Germany. Especially them beating England.

The rest of the tournament felt like a massive slog from what I remember. Lots of really turgid games. Though again, that might just be England colouring my memories.
It also had the infamous Uruguay Ghana QF. And it was the first time we saw tiki-taka at international level, so it was new and interesting, though obviously it didn't make for thrilling games.

Maybe a bit like Euro '96, in that minute-to-minute the football wasn't great but we did get a lot of good drama.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It also had the infamous Uruguay Ghana QF. And it was the first time we saw tiki-taka at international level, so it was new and interesting, though obviously it didn't make for thrilling games.

Maybe a bit like Euro '96, in that minute-to-minute the football wasn't great but we did get a lot of good drama.
Trying to remember any other memories I have now.

All I could come up with was France being awful, Cameroon being really dire, Italy being really dire, Angel Di Maria scoring a goal against someone (Nigeria maybe?), seeing Gervinho for the first (but unfortunately not the last) time, and the final basically being a wrestling match.

vcs

World Cup 2010 was rubbish, the subsequent ones have somehow managed to get even worse. I guess that says something about my declining interest though, because pretty much everyone thinks that 2014 and 2018 were pretty good. My favourite one was WC '06 and Euro '08, I guess my football interest peaked around then.