• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Atapattu is only in the squad cus he is the lucky charm. He was 12th man for Sri Lanka for pretty much the whole 96 WC. Also Tharanga hasn't been batting bad, if you doing to drop someone for who is out of form it would be Arnold, outside one match he hasn' scored a run. Dilshan also out of form, but his our best fielder and an important part of our bowling attack.

Jayasuriya LBW was going questionable, i can't see how that one of plumb, buts thats cricket. Australia get less LBWs given against them cus they don't walk across the stumps as much at the start of their innings, like a lot of batsmen in world. There no real bias, they just get hit on the pads less.

Arnold creating havotic from the fans if he gets dropped, were you smoking something when you posted that Jason, seriously WTF.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Why then do you think the selectors are running scared of dropping him?

There must be someone in there who wants him in the team any way regardless of whether he performs or not ... That's what I meant ...

Any way Colombo's Ganja (Cannabis in Sinhalese) smokers and Kassipu drinkers (local cheap alcoholic brew or the poor man's whiskey) reportedly hang around the Havelock Park, according to the local cops, May be I should try that when I come down to Sri Lanka next time , you reckon ..:laugh: :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What are you basing this on?

at least Tharanga has the ability to play a little risky and get the necessary runs on the board if he has to, we have seen this especially in his tours of England. Can Atapattu do this? i dunno to me he seems like the absolute ideal player suited to SL's test team (of course hes already in it isnt he) where you dont have to be concerned about the run rate etc.

And also teh fact that he hasnt been playing makes it even worse...
Tharanga's run of low scores and infrequent slow 50s are getting too risky to most people's liking as we go into the Semi finals.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Why then do you think the selectors are running scared of dropping him?

There must be someone in there who wants him in the team any way regardless of whether he performs or not ... That's what I meant ...
Tom Moody the one that wanted Arnold back in the side for the World Cup. He rates him as a multi-skilled type players. He can bat, bowl and is rated as one of our better fielders. The last one is the main reason for his re-selection, which is a joke as his fielding nothing special. Better then most in the team but not worth his recall.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tom Moody the one that wanted Arnold back in the side for the World Cup. He rates him as a multi-skilled type players. He can bat, bowl and is rated as one of our better fielders. The last one is the main reason for his re-selection, which is a joke as his fielding nothing special. Better then most in the team but not worth his recall.
Moody pushed hard to get back Arnold...for all the reasons you mentioned....plus his good record in the Windies (incl as A-team captain last year).

Also, Arnold comes from St Peters College in Colombo...the alma mater of one of the selectors (Amal Silva)...this has been a huge factor in bringing back and retaining Arnold (Silva is the sole selector on tour, at the cup). Ranjith Fdo also comes from this same school - explains the background to the regular comments that we have to put with re Arnold from Ranjith.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Moody pushed hard to get back Arnold...for all the reasons you mentioned....plus his good record in the Windies (incl as A-team captain last year).

Also, Arnold comes from St Peters College in Colombo...the alma mater of one of the selectors (Amal Silva)...this has been a huge factor in bringing back and retaining Arnold (Silva is the sole selector on tour, at the cup). Ranjith Fdo also comes from this same school - explains the background to the regular comments that we have to put with re Arnold from Ranjith.
That explains quite a few things I had suspected. ( Although I thought Arnold was from St.Joseph's rather than a Peterite)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I seriously dislike the anti-Arnold sentiments that are expressed by some people on these forums and i Sri Lanka. The guy is a decent cricket who has been repeatedly slagged off for unfair reasons.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I seriously dislike the anti-Arnold sentiments that are expressed by some people on these forums and i Sri Lanka. The guy is a decent cricket who has been repeatedly slagged off for unfair reasons.
There is no doubt thet guys is good cricketer, but he hardly wins you matches anymore. These days his just solid nothing more, nothing less.

Perm

There is no doubt thet guys is good cricketer, but he hardly wins you matches anymore. These days his just solid nothing more, nothing less.
In a team of potential matchwinners, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Perm

Maybe, but personally would rather have another match winner myself in Kapugedura.
I'm a big fan of Chamara Kapugedera, he has a big future ahead of him for Sri Lanka but at this moment in time I think Russel Arnold is quite clearly the better option. He provides stability to the middle and lower order and that is something that is needed when you have strokemakers like Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene and Silva in your lineup. Arnold and Dilshan, to me are two vital cogs in the Sri Lankan team.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm a big fan of Chamara Kapugedera, he has a big future ahead of him for Sri Lanka but at this moment in time I think Russel Arnold is quite clearly the better option. He provides stability to the middle and lower order and that is something that is needed when you have strokemakers like Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Sangakarra, Jayawardene and Silva in your lineup. Arnold and Dilshan, to me are two vital cogs in the Sri Lankan team.
They would be if they could score more runs...

Perm

They would be if they could score more runs...
Compared to their skipper they are doing just fine. They should be expecting more runs from Jayawardene and Tharanga, the only times Arnold and Dilshan should be scoring big runs are when they are saving Sri Lanka's bacon.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Compared to their skipper they are doing just fine. They should be expecting more runs from Jayawardene and Tharanga, the only times Arnold and Dilshan should be scoring big runs are when they are saving Sri Lanka's bacon.
Not really they should be scoring runs to finish off innings, which they haven't done at all. We basically lose 20 to 40 runs in the last ten over cus of them. As much Arnold once of a pretty good cricketer, his really no longer good enough to keep his spot. Dilshan keeps his spot due to fielding and bowlings, these days when he scores runs its a bonus.

Perm

Not really they should be scoring runs to finish off innings, which they haven't done at all. We basically lose 20 to 40 runs in the last ten over cus of them. As much Arnold once of a pretty good cricketer, his really no longer good enough to keep his spot. Dilshan keeps his spot due to fielding and bowlings, these days when he scores runs its a bonus.
They should be scoring maybe 20 runs at the end of the innings if the top order do their job properly, I'm not expecting them to be like Michael Hussey and consistently score 30-40 runs off 25 balls.

Arnold's 20 off 20 was perhaps one of the deciding factors in Sri Lanka's victory over England, while his 97 run partnership with Dilshan almost got Sri Lanka up to a defendable score against South Africa.