• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka will win the World Cup

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bookmark this.

The team they will play in the final is insignificant.

Their team ticks all the boxes and will lead from start to finish. No other team has such a complete roster. They are as strong, or in most cases stronger, than every other team in every neccessary department of one day cricket.

Word filler fun fact: Giraffes and humans have the same number of vertebrae (7).

Spikey

i'm not sure if i'll tell them - they still haven't even got over the loss of nannes...:(

Julian87

State Captain
Reckon their opening partnership is ordinary which could put a bit too much pressure on Sangakarra and Jayawardene which should be their strength.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Reckon their opening partnership is ordinary which could put a bit too much pressure on Sangakarra and Jayawardene which should be their strength.
Jayawardene is a **** **** in one day cricket and Sangakkara really isn't that much better either.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
We can't have two world cup winners,can we?

You know,since Pakistan is also going to win it.

Himannv

International Coach
I'm hoping for Semi's at least. We usually have an off game here and there and that off game will probably come in a KO game.

morgieb

They'll play great in the subbie imo, batting is pretty mediorce at OD level though.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Sangakarra's soldiers will get dumped by out of the WC by... wait for it

Biff's bully's.

Pak to do a number on India. (Finally after over 9000 attempts in the WC).

Benchmark it.

Lostman

State Captain
Their team ticks all the boxes and will lead from start to finish. No other team has such a complete roster. They are as strong, or in most cases stronger, than every other team in every neccessary department of one day cricket.
lol no.
I think most Sri lankans would be happy if they got to the semi's.
This is the possible batting lineup;
Dilshan
Tharanga
Sanga
MJ
Silva
Kapu
Mathews

There are only two decent ODI batsmen in this lineup, #1 and #7. Everyone else goes from crap to extremely ****ing crap.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
lol no.
I think most Sri lankans would be happy if they got to the semi's.
This is the possible batting lineup;
Dilshan
Tharanga
Sanga
MJ
Silva
Kapu
Mathews

There are only two decent ODI batsmen in this lineup, #1 and #7. Everyone else goes from crap to extremely ****ing crap.
While Sangakkara is pretty over-rated in ODIs by people who don't follow Sri Lanka too closely, I definitely don't think it's fair to say he's "not decent" or "crap". He's decent to good, IMO. He certainly doesn't match up to his reputation but there aren't too many teams I'd leave him out of.

Jayawardene, too, is a special kind of crap. I'm not saying he isn't a **** **** at this form of the game, but unlike most batsmen with his record, he's quite capable of playing a substantial innings against a good attack under pressure. Most batsmen who average 32 odd and strike at 75 odd or so make a career out of bashing minnows and scoring runs in irrelevant circumstances but as the last World Cup showed, his class can shine through at the right times. No doubt he's not very good at this format but I'd definitely take him over other players with similar records for that reason.

I agree the batting is weak and over-rated but perhaps not as weak as the numbers show or as the clued in Sri Lankan fans think, IMO.