• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith: Most Runs in a Series (Post Bradman)?

How many runs will Steve Smith make in the final Test?

• 304 or more - beating Bradman's all time series record

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 169 or more - beating the post Bradman series record

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • 159 or more - most runs by a batsman in 4 matches of a series

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 96 or more - most runs in a post Bradman 5 match Ashes series

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Less than 96.

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

a massive zebra

International Captain
The most runs in a Test series is 974 by Don Bradman in the 1930 Ashes. Steve Smith currently has 671 and needs 304 runs in the final Test to break this record. Not likely.

The most runs in a Test series since the retirement of Don Bradman is 839 by Mark Taylor in the 1989 Ashes. Smith needs 169 runs in the final Test to break this record.

The most runs in a Test series by a batsman who only played 4 Tests in the series is 829 by Viv Richards against England in 1976. Smith needs 159 runs in the final Test to break this record.

The 1989 Ashes in which Mark Taylor made 839 runs was a 6 match Test series, but the Ashes now only consist of 5 Tests. The most runs in a post Bradman 5 match Ashes series is 766 by Alastair Cook in 2010/11. Smith needs 96 runs in the final Test to beat this.

Which of these scenarios is most likely?

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's amazing that this is something we're genuinely contemplating for a guy who will play four matches in a series. Imagine if it hadn't rained so much last test and he didn't have to force the pace quite so much at the end of both of his innings.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Considering he had his arm mangled and was almost knocked out and then made nigh on 300 runs on return, I doubt a cricket web poll will will have much effect. I prefer the “due a failure” line to the jinx.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Smith might be looking to break his own series records before breaking those in the OP.

Most runs in an Ashes series: 687 in 2017/18

Most runs in any series: 769 vs India 2014/15 which was only 4 tests.

Passing Ricky Ponting's 706 runs in 4 tests vs India in 2003/04 for a 2nd time would also be a great achievement.

Smith as the next Bradman may also want to break some of the other series run records that Bradman has scored above him: 680, 715, 758, 806, 810 and the 974

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman only batted 7 times too. Ridiculous. Smith has had a flawless series. Has 2 more to go and looks a long way off.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman only batted 7 times too. Ridiculous. Smith has had a flawless series. Has 2 more to go and looks a long way off.
Tbh I feel if Smith was really wanting that record he would go and bat selfishly to get it, but that doesn’t seem to be in his character.

Viv only batted 7 times for his 829 in 1976. Still the best batting I’ve seen in an England Test series.
I’ll say I’m definitely jealous that you’ve seen a finer batsman than Smith in England.

a massive zebra

International Captain
In his final innings of the 1930 Ashes, Bradman claims to have been given out caught behind to a ball that hit his shirt and not his bat. See his comments at 27 minutes 30 seconds, here:

Perhaps if the umpires had done their job correctly he would have passed 1,000 runs in the series!

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Worth noting that he will have batted in the same number of innings as Cook did in 10-11 should Australia bat twice. If he plays as I fear he will then suspect he will pass Cook's mark comfortably but tbh I have a bit of a renewed appreciation for Cook's efforts in that series now I've realised that. Didn't stand out as much because other bats piled the runs on too but what an effort.

But as I say, I expect Smith to surpass Cook by about 100. Cook had two fails (both in Perth). Given we've onmly The Oval left it'd be a brave man who bet on Smith failing once never mind twice.

Slifer

International Captain
I honestly think that if Smith hadn't been concussed and played the entire series he'd be close to 900 runs

Slifer

International Captain
Tbh I feel if Smith was really wanting that record he would go and bat selfishly to get it, but that doesn’t seem to be in his character.

I’ll say I’m definitely jealous that you’ve seen a finer batsman than Smith in England.
Yeah that's one thing I like about smith. Bats for the team not any personal records. Wag