• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the World Cup

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Eclipse said:
Cheeck out his stats you will see he is more or less an allrounder he has a List A domestic one day 100 and a FC Hundred and some pritty respectable avrages as a batsman. And he has improved his batting alot over the last year so he is even better than those stats suggest.

He is deffinatly a bowling allrounder but he is capable of making good scores at International level.
OK.. let's see: Peter Martin has a FC century. That doesn't make him an allrounder. Bichel is definitely a bowler who can bat a bit... by the token you're using I can class Trescothick, Vaughan, Butcher as allrounders.

Even Dominic Cork might get classed as one on those criteria..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Cheeck out his stats you will see he is more or less an allrounder he has a List A domestic one day 100 and a FC Hundred and some pritty respectable avrages as a batsman. And he has improved his batting alot over the last year so he is even better than those stats suggest.

He is deffinatly a bowling allrounder but he is capable of making good scores at International level.
I'm sorry, but there is no way you can say Bichel is anywhere near a good enough batsman to come close to being described as an all-rounder.

He averages less than Giles, and has less major scores, yet not one Englishman would claim Giles to be an all-rounder!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well I did sort of correct myself about him being an allrounder if you look up 2 or so posts.

Any way he is better than Giles or at least He looks to be alot better having not seen much of Giles myself.

I does not mean alot for english tailenders/low order batsman to have decent FC avrages because of the poor strength of the county competition (in comparison to oz system) Look at Caddick he has a FC hunderd so does Gough and sevral other players who I would consider much worse than Bichel.

Thats my take on it any way.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
I does not mean alot for english tailenders/low order batsman to have decent FC avrages because of the poor strength of the county competition (in comparison to oz system) Look at Caddick he has a FC hunderd so does Gough and sevral other players who I would consider much worse than Bichel.
Incidentally, that's the only reason Bichel's average is above 20 (20.75) - his 2 seasons in County Cricket.

Without those he averages just over 18 - so bang goes that argument!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Not really It only proves a statistic not how good Bichel really is.

I dont really care to argue over who is better Giles or Bichel or who ever so lets just forget it ok.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I'm sorry, but there is no way you can say Bichel is anywhere near a good enough batsman to come close to being described as an all-rounder.

He averages less than Giles, and has less major scores, yet not one Englishman would claim Giles to be an all-rounder!
Yes, just about everyone who follows county cricket realises that Giles is an all-rounder. You don't average 27 and just be classed as a bowler...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Look at Caddick he has a FC hunderd
No Caddick's highest score is 92...

In 140 FC games (not including Tests) Caddick has made 5 50s. When you consider that his 2 highest scores in Tests are 48 and 49* then those 50s become less surprising. Also adding that his highest scores of 49* in Tests and 36 in ODIs have both come against Australia...

As for Gough...his 100 came around the time he made that debut 50, when he still practised his batting. And guess who he scored his only Test 50s and his highest ODI score??? Yup...Australia. :)

Stop slagging off County Cricket as poor quality without first looking at the stats...you have basically said these guys can't bat yet their highest International scores have come against Australia, the strongest side in the world in the last 10 years. Coincidence? ;)

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Yes, just about everyone who follows county cricket realises that Giles is an all-rounder. You don't average 27 and just be classed as a bowler...
As a Warwickshire fan I certanly don't regard Gilo as an all rounder!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Chris, how do you justify Hayden opening and Gilchrist down the order? Surely Gilchrist should open and Hayden be nowhere near the team?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
And guess who he scored his only Test 50s and his highest ODI score??? Yup...Australia. :)
I thought he got a fifty against NZ?

His batting was a big shame - he had enough on early performance to be a number 8, but he dropped to round a number 10.

He was beginning to pick up before his injury (by the way am I alone in thinking that had he gone to India, he wouldn't have picked up tht injury), but if he came back now, I'd play him at 10 behind Giles 9, White 8 and Read 7 (Flintoff at 6)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
As a Warwickshire fan I certanly don't regard Gilo as an all rounder!
His batting and bowling averages are around 27, he averaged 30 with the bat before he was called up by England (his career average) and he he has batted at 6-7 for Warwickshire. That means he is an all-rounder. Not in the Kallis class, but better than most.

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Chris, how do you justify Hayden opening and Gilchrist down the order? Surely Gilchrist should open and Hayden be nowhere near the team?
That and surley if it's a "Team Of The World Cup" then how do you justify leaving the leading World Cup wicket taker out of the side in C.Vaas who took 23 wickets @ 14.39?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
His batting and bowling averages are around 27, he averaged 30 with the bat before he was called up by England (his career average) and he he has batted at 6-7 for Warwickshire. That means he is an all-rounder. Not in the Kallis class, but better than most.
Well I guess with the strength in depth, I'm more used to see Giles at 8 at best, and sometimes as low as 10 - hence I don't view him as such!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Well I guess with the strength in depth, I'm more used to see Giles at 8 at best, and sometimes as low as 10 - hence I don't view him as such!
Not due to any views on an all-rounder having to hold his own in a team with each discipline in order to be classed as such? ;)

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
IMO the best combo in this WC would be:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Gibbs
Martyn
DeSilva
Bichel
Vaas
Lee
Murali
McGrath

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Not due to any views on an all-rounder having to hold his own in a team with each discipline in order to be classed as such? ;)
No, it's using the general (IMO misguided) view of what classes as an all rounder - Giles bats so low that I class him as a bowler that can bat,

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
No, it's using the general (IMO misguided) view of what classes as an all rounder - Giles bats so low that I class him as a bowler that can bat,
When I saw him playing for Warwickshire 3 years ago he was batting at 3 in OD games and not as a pitch-hitter, he was playing really fine shots and propper innings...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
IMO the best combo in this WC would be:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Ponting
Gibbs
Martyn
DeSilva
Bichel
Vaas
Lee
Murali
McGrath
Erm, Bichel at 7 is a tad weak!

Also, why are people putting Gibbs in their teams as a middle order player when he opens? Surely players should be judged on where they played in the WC?