• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2008 Paralympics

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Empty rhetoric?

I would've thought you would agree with me, being the proud New Zealander you are.
:laugh:

The irony of someone who goes out of his way to support Bangladesh when playing NZ expecting me to be a "proud NZer" and agree with you is not lost on me, Perm.

I've given several reasons why the Paralympics haven't or shouldn't get the same coverage and you replied with:

I stand by my statement. When a New Zealander wins a gold medal there deserves to be more than two sentences on a news broadcoast.
Good for you. Really in-depth stuff, that.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

The irony of someone who goes out of his way to support Bangladesh when playing NZ expecting me to be a "proud NZer" and agree with you is not lost on me, Perm.
The irony was intended, Voltman.

I've given several reasons why the Paralympics haven't or shouldn't get the same coverage and you replied with:

Good for you. Really in-depth stuff, that.
And I responded in another post with more detail, but again the same opinion. Going by the logic in your post, we should only see the gold medalists at the Olympics receive press coverage, for they are the cream of the crop. Everything else is irrelevant, whether it be gold at the Paralympics or at a world athletics meet. C'mon, even you must be able to see where I'm coming from in the fact I would have liked to see more coverage for a New Zealand athlete that won a gold medal, regardless of the fact that she has a disability.

FWIW, point taken about the TVNZ coverage, there is a fair possibility that TV3 may not have had access to any sort of video footage.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, and I may be crucified for saying this, I find the whole Paralympics a exercise in political correctness. They're not the best athletes in their sport, and they never will be, simply because of their disability. It might be harsh, but that's the way it goes. And that's why I think the coverage was adequate.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you're of that opinion, then should we also disband rugby teams like the NZ Maori and the Black Ferns?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Media priority dictates that they show us things we can relate to, that we want to see, the Paralympics isn't something that the greater part of society gives a toss about. You're a Saint Permster but frankly I'm not too fussed about the best basketball team in wheelchairs. While this denies some people a lot of kudos for being amazing individuals considering their circumstances, a lot of things don't get on the news that could do. You'll also notice we often don't put on any third world disasters, not because its anymore or less tragic in reality to anything that happens to the first world, but because we don't relate ourselves to these people. It's all about us buying their stories, not about achievement or tragedy.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If you're of that opinion, then should we also disband rugby teams like the NZ Maori and the Black Ferns?
Well done on comparing like for like, Perm. No, really. The NZ Maori are a team with tradition although I wouldn't cry myself to sleep if they were disbanded as, for all intents and purposes, they're a racially-selected side, and the only reason they get any media coverage is because rugby is NZ's national game. Remember? The sport that you're so desperate to cover for a major newspaper without doing the hard yards of a journalism course inbetween your jaunts to play rugby for some junior Bulgarian provincial team because - ya know - it's all so easy just to waltz into any old job you want.

As for the Black Ferns, why would you disband them? Have I suggested getting rid of women in the Olympics? No. The Black Ferns are the best of their gender in the world. Good enough for me.

Flem274*

123/5
Will I get attacked if I compare your friendship to that of two twelve year old girls?:happy:

I'm sure TV 3 would have liked to cover the gold medal more, but due to their stuttering weatherman who takes ten minutes to string a coherent sentence together they simply don't have time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Personally, and I may be crucified for saying this, I find the whole Paralympics a exercise in political correctness. They're not the best athletes in their sport, and they never will be, simply because of their disability. It might be harsh, but that's the way it goes. And that's why I think the coverage was adequate.
They are the best athletes in the world in murder ball. :)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely awesome from Sophie Pascoe. 15 years old, and two golds and a silver in the pool. Top stuff.