• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsman cannot be too good for the bowler

Howe_zat

Audio File
I know this is a Richardism, does anyone remember what the argument actually was?

Like I’m pretty sure it’s not possible for me to get Virat Kohli out

Chubb

International Regular
I know this is a Richardism, does anyone remember what the argument actually was?

Like I’m pretty sure it’s not possible for me to get Virat Kohli out
I think it was about relative standards of batsmen and bowlers - does poor bowling make batting look good, or vice versa?

He would argue that even Virat Kohli cannot score off some deliveries, no matter who the bowler is.

Richard was a bowler and he believed very strongly that cricket is a bowler’s game. He’d say that even he could dismiss Kohli IF he bowled in exactly the right spot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wrong. The only way it could possibly be right is if you consider "too good" to only mean they never ever get out which honestly is just an arbitrarily literal way of thinking about it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The theory was that the bowler is in control of the game. If he does the right thing with the ball there's nothing the batsman can do.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In practice it's not true because a good batsman on song can throw a bowler off his rhythm early in a spell, put him under pressure, keep out the good balls etc. Somebody like Lara can leave the bowler with no answers by scoring off the good balls and doing what the bowler wants him to do but still succeeding. But if you're getting awkward bounce off a length there's very little you can physically do. Or if Shoaib Akhtar is hooping it around corners at 150ks

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The theory was that the bowler is in control of the game.
As a bowler I always subscribed to this theory. Failure to do so was an admission of defeat. However, having played at a club level for 30 odd years I must admit that there were 3 or 4 batsmen who had me doubting my ability. Two of those had played at a first class level and I'm sure, in hindsight, that I had probably succumbed to their reputation rather than their actual ability.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its not really true because the bowler is acting and the batsman is reacting. Once a bowler has bowled a ball, it is upto the batsman to react and depending on how good they are, they may succeed or fail but to think they have no say is silly.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Purely mechanically, the bowler is in control. Once you stop ignoring the real world psychological aspects of it, the theory falls apart

Midwinter

State Captain
Does this take account there is always a time factor which plays a role in each batsman's and each teams innings.