• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Do any of the Sky guys do a stint in the C9 box?

We get Warne, but he's Sky contracted as well - most series though we tend to get someone in - usually the likes of Ian Smith, Shaun Pollock, Rameez Raja and Tony Cozier.
Last time 9 had a guest commentator was Ian Smith for New Zaland's tour of Australia in 04/05 IIRC (although I think Waqar Younis commentated for the Pakistan tour which was just after the NZ one), after that we have Mark Nicholas has taken a more full time role with commentating presenting. I don't know why, but 9 just don't do guest commentators anymore, which I think is stupid.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan did a guest spot in Adelaide I think. Someone else did too. Atherton maybe?

Spark

Global Moderator
In Perth. Atherton did a spot in the A game.

A couple of Sky comms sat in the box in 06/7 as well IIRC

Redbacks

International Captain
Last time 9 had a guest commentator was Ian Smith for New Zaland's tour of Australia in 04/05 IIRC (although I think Waqar Younis commentated for the Pakistan tour which was just after the NZ one), after that we have Mark Nicholas has taken a more full time role with commentating presenting. I don't know why, but 9 just don't do guest commentators anymore, which I think is stupid.
The roll out of payTV worldwide must surely have something to do with it?

We miss out as viewers having to only cop one side of the spectrum. We have no insights into the England dressing room etc. that a former test captain would be able to deliver.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I would love to hear a 12th Man Ian Healy impersonation.

Although, he's becoming a parody of himself more and more each day.

Today's highlights include 'Clarke got in a great position to cut but it didn't bounce like he thought it would' and my own personal favourite - 'remember back to Perth - we thought 250 was a bad first innings score but Australia went on to win convincingly'. Keep telling yourself that Ian.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We miss out as viewers having to only cop one side of the spectrum. We have no insights into the England dressing room etc. that a former test captain would be able to deliver.
The English Sky commentary/Channel 4/BBC TMS commentary did used to be good in that they would always get someone from the opposition camp to commentate. Tony Cozier, Ian Bishop, Jeremy Coney, Ian Smith, Sunny Gavaskar etc. Sky NZ usually gets someone in as well. Not sure who we've got this season, but I'm sure we've had Damian Fleming before.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The English Sky commentary/Channel 4/BBC TMS commentary did used to be good in that they would always get someone from the opposition camp to commentate. Tony Cozier, Ian Bishop, Jeremy Coney, Ian Smith, Sunny Gavaskar etc. Sky NZ usually gets someone in as well. Not sure who we've got this season, but I'm sure we've had Damian Fleming before.
Yeah Warne commentates for Sky and the TMS team includes Jim Maxwell and, I think, Michael Slater. All good quality, Warne outstanding and Maxwell very solid

HeathDavisSpeed

I do miss the BBC TMS. Always good, even had Cozier for a non-West Indies series once. Similarly used Jeremy Coney for non-Kiwi series too. Like the mix they have in there. Jim Maxwell would be a good addition.

EDIT: Think we've got Ramiz Raja for this series? Think you guys had him over in the Pom summer just gone as well. Seems a decent chap/commentator.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

TMS has gone to pot a bit now tbh, think its the Vaughan infiltration.
Oh god. Michael Vaughan? He's got such a depressing voice. No idea whether he's an astute commentator though. Athers had a depressing voice when he started out in the com box too, but he's improved and he's always been fairly insightful.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would love to hear a 12th Man Ian Healy impersonation.

Although, he's becoming a parody of himself more and more each day.

Today's highlights include 'Clarke got in a great position to cut but it didn't bounce like he thought it would' and my own personal favourite - 'remember back to Perth - we thought 250 was a bad first innings score but Australia went on to win convincingly'. Keep telling yourself that Ian.
Was actually pretty boring tbh. Only good ones are Lawry, Greig and Benaud.

Mister Wright

Oh god. Michael Vaughan? He's got such a depressing voice. No idea whether he's an astute commentator though. Athers had a depressing voice when he started out in the com box too, but he's improved and he's always been fairly insightful.
I enjoyed Vaughan's commentary. He seemed very switched on.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was actually pretty boring tbh. Only good ones are Lawry, Greig and Benaud.
I'd need an update - with Ian/Billy B telling us 'Australia are 9-200 chasing a world record 600 to win, but double tons from Peter Siddle and Doug Bollinger will get the heroes in green and gold over the line. Siddle is the ideal man for the job, as he's a fighter who never gives up. And boom - Siddle smacks a four between wicketkeeper and 1st slip! 396 to get! England on the ropes'.

Trouble is i'm not all that funny - Billy would do it better.

Seedy

Cricket Spectator
This is my first post on this forum. I would have really liked to have begun on a more positive note, but after reading the posts on this thread, and in support of many other members, I find that I must vent my spleen on the Channel 9 commentary team. I really enjoy listening to Ian Healy, he is a prime example of what you see is what you get, and I can remember some of his comical antics when he was a player. Bill Lawry complete with his winged keel nose provides much of the more entertaining remarks and has a wicked sense of humour, keep it up Bill ! Benaud, well, what can I say, it's a good thing that he does not appear on camera very often, his bottom lip, not unlike that of a cash register drawer, affirms that he has a face for radio and not TV. Tony Greig is getting past his use by date and who needs a pommie import like Nichols anyway. Getting to Ian Chappell, if the rest of the commentary team was a village, he would be it's idiot! That brainless wannabe was a fizzer as a captain, and a no-brainer as a commentator. He must sit there trying his damnest to find something intelligent to say, but fails on every attempt.
The solution?? Turn the sound right down on the TV, and listen to the radio commentary.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Warnie loves Michael Clarke, i wonder if he will critisise his captaincy at all or just keep praising it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Warnie loves Michael Clarke, i wonder if he will critisise his captaincy at all or just keep praising it.
Not much to criticize thus far. I found his "I like how Clarke isn't over-attacking" when Beer is on very odd though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is my first post on this forum. I would have really liked to have begun on a more positive note, but after reading the posts on this thread, and in support of many other members, I find that I must vent my spleen on the Channel 9 commentary team. I really enjoy listening to Ian Healy, he is a prime example of what you see is what you get, and I can remember some of his comical antics when he was a player. Bill Lawry complete with his winged keel nose provides much of the more entertaining remarks and has a wicked sense of humour, keep it up Bill ! Benaud, well, what can I say, it's a good thing that he does not appear on camera very often, his bottom lip, not unlike that of a cash register drawer, affirms that he has a face for radio and not TV. Tony Greig is getting past his use by date and who needs a pommie import like Nichols anyway. Getting to Ian Chappell, if the rest of the commentary team was a village, he would be it's idiot! That brainless wannabe was a fizzer as a captain, and a no-brainer as a commentator. He must sit there trying his damnest to find something intelligent to say, but fails on every attempt.
The solution?? Turn the sound right down on the TV, and listen to the radio commentary.
We don't have ball by ball commentary in NZ. We have it intermittently around tennis and other cricket matches. So your solution unfortunately in my case is not doable.

Incidentally, you are nuts. Healy gives not only gives aspirin a headache, he'd give a headache a headache.