• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

Seedy

Cricket Spectator
Are you still using radios with valves over there, or has NZ technology graduated to transistors?

Seedy

Cricket Spectator
Yep, we even have newspapers....................... but nobody up here can read, so sales are way down!

Craig

World Traveller
Do the Sky comms wax lyrical as much as what the Ch 9 comms do for Ian Bell? If you didn't know any better you would Ian Chappell has turned into the biggest Ian Bell fanboy in the world. Chappell has such a huge man crush for him ATM.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"He's not the Sherminator anymore he's the Terminator!!!!" swear to god shane i will ****ing kill you if you say that again. jesus christ

Craig

World Traveller
Actually I take that back, Ian Chappell is the Ian Bell fanboy and Shane Warne has the man crush.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Do the Sky comms wax lyrical as much as what the Ch 9 comms do for Ian Bell? If you didn't know any better you would Ian Chappell has turned into the biggest Ian Bell fanboy in the world. Chappell has such a huge man crush for him ATM.
They'd said he'd played pretty decently and was as usual good on the eye... until Warne came into the combox and talked the whole 30 minutes straight about how brilliant his timing was, how he should bat above Trott at three despite having a ****e record there and he kept saying as has been mentioned how he'd gone from the Shermination to the Termintator.

First time during his commentary stints I've found Warnie stale, boring and repetitive.

howardj

International Coach
It's easy to impress Chappelli and Warne on the captaincy front. All you have to do is set six slips, a bat pad, silly mid off, short cover ....and just ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK.

Craig

World Traveller
They'd said he'd played pretty decently and was as usual good on the eye... until Warne came into the combox and talked the whole 30 minutes straight about how brilliant his timing was, how he should bat above Trott at three despite having a ****e record there and he kept saying as has been mentioned how he'd gone from the Shermination to the Termintator.

First time during his commentary stints I've found Warnie stale, boring and repetitive.
Chappell is also adamant that Bell needs to move to number 3.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Just for comparison Bell averages 31 batting at number 3 compared to his average of 62 at number 5 and 53 at number 6. While Trott averages 62 at three.

Anyone with a sane mind can see we need to move Bell up to five to replace Colly and bring in another lower order batsmen such as Morgan, Taylor or whom I favour most Hildreth any suggestion otherwise is frankly odd.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bell at #4. I'd like to see him above KP tbh.
I wouldn't argue with that. KP is another one that certain pundits have always said should bat higher up the order. He started at 5, was comfortable and did well there, and I've never understood the clamour to turn him into a top order player.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
RavBo?

Bowling all-rounder?
Still don't think that he's cut out for Test cricket, not sure he ever will be for me. Way too loose in defence and seems very easy to rattle, this bowling would come in handy what with Colly's retirement though. People seem to be underrating Trott's bowling as well he can certainly do the same job that Colly's done for England ever now and again. So in short I'd still go for a proper batsmen.

Stat attack: Colly's bowled 10000 balls in First Class cricket exactly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
RavBo?

Bowling all-rounder?
Do we really need a batsman who bowls a slightly better variety of pie than the batsmen currently in the side?

I'm not convinced he's a better 5th bowling option than Jonathan Trott anyway.

Collingwood as an all round package might prove a little more difficult to replace than perhaps anticipated (I've no idea how Morgan, Taylor or Hildreth compare in the field) but his bowling has never really been utilised all that often in Tests. He's good for a couple of tidy overs of medium pace to give the quicks a breather, no reason why Trott can't take over that mantle.

Last edited: