• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vox Populi

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
In my opinion the board is doing a good job. I also think Neil should be skipper as he has been a wonderful servant for CW Cricket right from the begining.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
H. Mork (wk)
S. Fitzsimmons
B. Goff (vc)
A. Cloete
C. Butler
L. Camps
B.Cunningham
N. Hoy
D. Kennett
K. Wright
N. Pickup (c)

that would be quite a nice squad if you ask me...

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Can I ask the following questions:

1) What's our win-rate in Tests simmed by Liam?
2) What's our win-rate in Tests simmed by Reuben
Where in the world does that take us to?.. its like asking whats the win-rate for Hampshire if Brendon simmed the games in WCC vs the (others) people who have simmed aswell when covering.. ie simon etc.
Unless you have some sick idea that either of us is out to keep CWXI down?.. because its not the first time i have seen this approach.. and its not flattering..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
kwek said:
H. Mork (wk)
S. Fitzsimmons
B. Goff (vc)
A. Cloete
C. Butler
L. Camps
B.Cunningham
N. Hoy
D. Kennett
K. Wright
N. Pickup (c)

Few too many bowlers for me. Why not bring in Wilson for one of the seamers (Kennett or Hoy), and go with Wright and Kennett/Hoy/Cunningham opening the bowling, Wilson and Kennett/Hoy/Cunningham as the other seamers, and Neil as the spin option. Then you can bring in Richards or Halsey as a second spinner when needed. Cunningham isn't good enough with the bat to sit at 7 for me, but he's a mighty good number 8 with Wilson at 7.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
kwek said:
H. Mork (wk)
S. Fitzsimmons
B. Goff (vc)
A. Cloete
C. Butler
L. Camps
B.Cunningham
N. Hoy
D. Kennett
K. Wright
N. Pickup (c)

Kweky.. all you did to my lineup was replace Wilson with Cunningham.. :-O

steds

Hall of Fame Member
+Mørk
Fitzsimmons
Cloete
Butler
Kearsley/Dauth
Robbins
Cunningham/Wilson
Hoy
Kennett (or Halsey/Richards if conditions suit)
Wright
Pickup*

Would be my test team

David

International 12th Man
thewizard1o1 said:
What about Dave Watt? The guy gets like no mention in team selection at all and has never played a Test before. Watt has the 2nd best strike rate among the top 10 all time dev league wicket takers (2nd only to the immensely talented and inactive Timewell). He is also 4th on the all time wicket takers list.

Dave Watt
322 wickets @ 26.78. ( 2.89 econ and 55.59 s/r)
There are reasons. He does get plenty of mention, and I'm hoping he'll get his test caps soon.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Few too many bowlers for me. Why not bring in Wilson for one of the seamers (Kennett or Hoy), and go with Wright and Kennett/Hoy/Cunningham opening the bowling, Wilson and Kennett/Hoy/Cunningham as the other seamers, and Neil as the spin option. Then you can bring in Richards or Halsey as a second spinner when needed. Cunningham isn't good enough with the bat to sit at 7 for me, but he's a mighty good number 8 with Wilson at 7.
I rackon Cunningham is a better batsman and bowler then Wilson. :)

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? Both good bats, but honestly I think Wilson's ability to score at a run a ball sets him apart.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Robertinho said:
Really? Both good bats, but honestly I think Wilson's ability to score at a run a ball sets him apart.
Better drop Vimes, then?

Going by last season, I would say that Cunningham and Hoy should be in any CWXI squad, bias aside.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
No, the fact that Hak is there gives even more support for Wilson IMO. We need one player who can perform a Gilly type role, because most of the XI are fairly slow players (apart from Cloete?).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm intrigued that Young has a slightly better Test average than Fitzsimmons and gets no mention. Both have under-achieved at Test level, thus it's interesting that one gets mention and not the other. Also, it's interesting to see Brendon getting picked in the side even if he's not captain, considering what people have been saying for some time now.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Also, it's interesting to see Brendon getting picked in the side even if he's not captain, considering what people have been saying for some time now.
That's just Rob and kwek, though. They don't know what people have been saying because they're off in their own little worlds 99% of the time.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Lots of teams here.

Mork+
Young
Cloete
Robbins(vc)
Butler
Dauth
Cunningham
Wilson
Hoy
Wright
Pickup*

Dauth to be replaced by Kennett/Richards, if conditions require.

And a Second XI.

Fitzsimmons
Camps(vc)
Goff*
Kearsley
Fuller
Dubb-Lynch
Lezama+
Richards
Rose
Watt/Halsey
Kennett

Third XI

Thompson
Markus
De Silva
Garven*
Hing
Chaulk+
Ghansar
Halsey/Watt
Patrick(vc)
Broadbent
Demeza

Like the power hitting 5-7 in the 3rd XI, (and Tom can slog)

Retired/Inactive/Deported XI

Twyman(vc)
Walsh
Moon
Toogood
Nichani
Maddocks+
Malone
Sanders*
Hingston
Bhatia
Timewell

Dunno why I did that.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Walsh is technically active this season.
Walsh of old skill?

If so

:Test XI:

Mork+
Walsh
Cloete
Robbins(vc)
Butler
Young
Cunningham
Wilson
Hoy
Wright
Pickup*

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
lord_of_darkness said:
Where in the world does that take us to?.. its like asking whats the win-rate for Hampshire if Brendon simmed the games in WCC vs the (others) people who have simmed aswell when covering.. ie simon etc.
Unless you have some sick idea that either of us is out to keep CWXI down?.. because its not the first time i have seen this approach.. and its not flattering..
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I'd be interested in knowing what the public has to say about the state of CW cricket. Who do you think should be in the team? What can we do to lift our attrocious Test record to respectability? Who should be the frontline bowlers? Who should skipper the side? Is the Selection Panel doing a good enough job? What of the state of Dev League cricket? Is it strong enough to produce international standard players?

Please not that any opinions expressed in this thread will not be held against the person voicing them UNLESS they are personal and baseless attacks upon another member. Keep it constructive.

Please also keep the posts sensible.

Speak away.
Good to see the board pulling in the same direction as usual (!)