• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do we go now?

L Trumper

State Regular
The only reason you think Bopara had mental breakdowns is because he couldn't break out of his poor form. He could be a really resilient person for all we know, but just a **** cricketer. Same goes for Cook and Broad.

Sorry, but it always irks me when people analyse a player's character based simply on his cricket related performances.
Yeah! True for all sports really. I never understood the whole armchair psychology thing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah! True for all sports really. I never understood the whole armchair psychology thing.
To an extent it is overplayed, however I think it seems so obvious sometimes one can definitely deduce it.

Like poor Jonny Bairstow, stuck in the 90s during a test at The Oval and got so bogged down he scored something like 1 run in 40 minutes before (IIRC) Morne castled him. Form can be a fickle mistress but for it to suddenly evaporate in such a clutch situation seems a heck of a coincidence. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to read a psychological element into his travails.

Ditto Mahela in the final, actually. Took a look at the DL par sheet between overs with drizzle in the air and promptly gets out to a spasticated reverse scoop.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Like poor Jonny Bairstow, stuck in the 90s during a test at The Oval and got so bogged down he scored something like 1 run in 40 minutes before (IIRC) Morne castled him. Form can be a fickle mistress but for it to suddenly evaporate in such a clutch situation seems a heck of a coincidence. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to read a psychological element into his travails.
Isn't that just a case of Bairstow not having been in such an intense enviroment i.e a higher level of cricket. It may just of been his skill that was missing, rather than his mental mindset?

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To an extent it is overplayed, however I think it seems so obvious sometimes one can definitely deduce it.

Ditto Mahela in the final, actually. Took a look at the DL par sheet between overs with drizzle in the air and promptly gets out to a spasticated reverse scoop.
That's probably just nerves early in his career (but I agree with your point if a pattern emerges) or in Mahela's case, having a brainfart. What egyptian was saying he somehow deduced that the players were having mental breakdowns *because* they were in poor form, while on the other hand, the players that got out of a rough patch were deemed mentally resilient. All this without knowing anything about what runs through the respective cricketers' minds when they play.

Not really disagreeing with you ftr.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't that just a case of Bairstow not having been in such an intense enviroment i.e a higher level of cricket. It may just of been his skill that was missing, rather than his mental mindset?
Well, if he hadn't scored 90-odd without any drama beforehand, I'd probably agree. It seemed to me as a clear case of a player relying on his natural ability and trusting the work he'd put in beforehand (SA peppered him with short stuff early doors to test out his perceived shortcomings that Roach had seemingly exposed during the Windies' tour) until he got in sight of a major milestone (first test ton, etc) and then the mental gremlins kicked in.

Doesn't mean the kid's mentally weak, obvz; just that he's human.