• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where now for the Associates?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think Ireland or Zimbabwe has a better chance ahead than Afghanistan. Would be surprised if Afghanistan gets through.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just such a waste to lock them out.

Why does the ICC spend so much money on promoting the game - Which they do do as far as I know - but undo all the good work by not allowing them to compete in the most important cricketing event.

I just dont understand it at all.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
What I would like to see, but know will never happen, is with the next 2 world cups hosted by England then India - that the small 7 threaten to boycott. Based on undemocratic governance. Etc etc. With the treatment of associates being the 'trigger'.

But as if those 7 could keep it together.

I'd assume there will be a lot of money going into BCCI administrators pockets in 2023, threatening to scupper that is the only leverage left.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have so much issue with associates not getting in the WC (although 10 teams is too little) as I do with bigger teams not playing them. I can understand wanting the best quality cricket in the WC but then you have to compensate the associates with tours and games against them, if they keep playing each other they're not gonna get that much better.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I don't have so much issue with associates not getting in the WC (although 10 teams is too little) as I do with bigger teams not playing them. I can understand wanting the best quality cricket in the WC but then you have to compensate the associates with tours and games against them, if they keep playing each other they're not gonna get that much better.
Yeah, but e.g. watching an ODI series v Sri Lanka, 2 years out from the World Cup, during monsoon season, where we have sent our best players home early anyway as 'playing all 3 forms creates burnout' - is no sacred cow.

ODIs pretty much suck anyway for 47 out of each 48 month cycle. I wouldn't be upset if my team had to play a series in Ireland in amongst that dirge.

brockley

International Captain
Isn't there 10 teams for the T20 world cup,and a qualifier of for Bangers,Zimbabwe and the minnows,don't think it has changed.
Dave Richardson on the 10 sides idea wants USA to compete but thats not going to happem.