• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has been the Star of the world cup

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
krkode said:
To me, the situation in 1992 sounds hideous! :O

I didn't know this before, but from 22 off 11 to 22 off 1?? How awefully unfair is that!
That was the "Aussie rain rule" that wreaked havoc in that tournament in 1992. India lost a match to Australia by 1 run because of that rule and their were some others as well as far as I remember, apart from that infamous semi-final.

krkode

State Captain
Personally, I think, on bad days, the aussie batting can do more than the Indian. On average days, it could be close. But on good days, I'd say the Indian batting can do more.

We all know which kinds of days are most common :D

Eclipse

International Debutant
No I disagree compleatly the only reason India are certited with some massive scores in the past is because of the grounds they play on ie. Very Small with hard fast outfelids and on absolute roads.

I bet If Australia had the chance to play more games on souch grounds they would surley have made some massive scores.

Any way statistics dont suggest India can make bigger scores over the last 2 years Australia have done much better.

krkode

State Captain
I bet If Australia had the chance to play more games on souch grounds they would surley have made some massive scores.
I bet if India had the chance to play more games on fast bouncy wickets they too would be better players of fast bowling and make some massive scores on fast bowling tracks too.

"Ifs" are never a guaranteed thing. There's some things the Indians are better at, and it will continue to be so, and there are some (many?) things the Aussies are better at and that will continue to be so too.

Statistics don't say India can't make bigger scores either. Statistics don't say anything. Statistics said Laxman's previous highest score was 167 - but he made 281. Statistics said McGrath's best bowling figures were 5/14, but he took 7/15, Statistics said the highest score in a world cup final was 291, Aus just made 359...so on...

Australia have been the better team over the past two years. I haven't been living in a cave - I know this stuff:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
All I am saying is It's alot eayer to make **** loads of runs on subcontenent grounds and pitches in genral it's a fact.
And that is why I disagree with you comment.

It is almost imposible to score over 320 on a grounds in Australia they are just soo big that batsman will eventualy always get out looking for sixes and the boundrys are harder to score.

Thats just my opinion but there is some substance to back it up.

krkode

State Captain
True that a score of 320 is hard in Australia and Subcontinent pitches are easier to bat on. But I never said anything about India scoring bigger scores than Australia. I was just saying, on a good day for both, India's best may be better than Australia's best (in batting). But then again, that's my opinion.

True that this might be a factor of playing on the subcontinent or Sharjah, but it's not like Australia never played on the subcontinent or in Sharjah. They've had their chances to score on subcontinent pitches too...

And if you say Indians score more on the subcontinent because they are used to it, then same applies for the aussies, doesn't it :)

:P

Eclipse

International Debutant
Thats all I wanted cleared up :)

Australia have made big scores on sub contenent pitches almost every time we play there but just nothing 350+

To be honest it enveys me the exitment you get in One day games in India with the samll grounds packed with fans and batsman being abel to clear the ropes so easely makes for lost of fun and a great atmosphere.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
krkode said:
I was just saying, on a good day for both, India's best may be better than Australia's best (in batting). But then again, that's my opinion.
Well, I think yesterday was about as good as Australia get, but I couldn't see the Indian line up scoring that many in that manner.

krkode

State Captain
marc71178 said:
Well, I think yesterday was about as good as Australia get, but I couldn't see the Indian line up scoring that many in that manner.
Obviously, yesterday wasn't a good Indian day.

India have their fair share of scores over 359.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
krkode said:
Obviously, yesterday wasn't a good Indian day.

India have their fair share of scores over 359.
No doubt, but against that sort of attack?

For me, the right result. Australia are head and shoulders ahead of all the rest in terms of character alone, their batting is every bit as strong as the Indians and the bowling is light years ahead.

India? In my mind on the form they've shown in WC2003, undisputed second place in the ODI rankings

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They've done it twice:

6/373 on a Taunton batsman's paradise - WC99 - (Ganguly 183, Dravid 145) v SL
2/376 at Hyderabad in 1999 (Tendulkar 186*, Dravid 153) v NZ

krkode

State Captain
luckyeddie said:
No doubt, but against that sort of attack?

For me, the right result. Australia are head and shoulders ahead of all the rest in terms of character alone, their batting is every bit as strong as the Indians and the bowling is light years ahead.

India? In my mind on the form they've shown in WC2003, undisputed second place in the ODI rankings
Again, we'll never know :P

But, facing an attack like India produced yesterday, I wouldn't say it'd be impossible for the Indian batting on a good day to score a 359.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
krkode said:
Again, we'll never know :P

But, facing an attack like India produced yesterday, I wouldn't say it'd be impossible for the Indian batting on a good day to score a 359.
Facing an attack like India produced yesterday, most teams could get 359 on a good day ;)

Unfortunately Australia won't produce attacks like that, which is why they win everything...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Sachin had stuck around :!( , they would've challenged Australia without a doubt. Ganguly likely wouldn't had to come in under so much pressure.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Shane Bond had been on form during the preliminary stages of the World Cup, I reckon he would have finished as top wicket taker.

He really only came into form against Zimbabwe.