• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Don’t I care more?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fourth test at was uncomfortable viewing for any England fan, However as I watched three days of dreadful English cricket my overriding concern was, not that we had picked the wrong team, that Bopara is woefully inadequate, or that Harmison was bowling too short. It was something far worse, I simply did not care all that much. I admit to not being the most patriotic of people but rather unlike with the Football team I have always been able go get behind out cricket team, especially in an ashes summer but this year I have not found the same enthusiasm.

That is not to say that I do not want England to win, of course and being at Lords on the Monday was a great experience, but that morning aside I have been rather underwhelmed by this series. It was always going to be difficult to reach the heights of 2005. or even the sheer disappointment and humiliation of 2006. But the problem is not really the cricket itself, which I have enjoyed, but this particular England side. While watching the second day Henry (Sledger) and I were discussing how this England team lacked any real character, indeed without Flintoff and Pietersen this current side is the blandest England side I have ever watched.

By character I do not mean mental toughness or desire but more a certain likability, a feeling that this was my team. Ever since I first properly started watching cricket in the mid 90’s I have felt that England had this character, they have never been a great side, often they have been very poor one, but they were always a side with individuals that I wanted to do well, be it Atherton, Smith, Stewart or Thorpe, England always had batsman that I wanted to succeed. Whenever Ramps came to the crease I was desperate for him to do well, why do I not feel the same sense of disappointment when Ravi of Bell trudge back to the pavilion having failed again? I always loved watching Nasser scrap his way to a priceless century. I get no such enjoyment from watching Collingwood play a similar innings. Then there was the bowling line-up full of different characters, Gough and Caddick made a great odd couple opening partnership, backed up by the likes of Angus Fraser, Dominic Cork and Phil Tufnell. Then there was the unique Jack Russell. By 2005 when England was a far better and more professional side but were still characters that I loved, and not just the Freddy. Hoggard and Giles who took us to victory at Trent Bridge are two such examples.

This may in large part be nostalgia (I am 21 I should not be saying everything was better in my day already) but Flintoff and Pietersen aside I see no such character in this England side. I like Strauss and I want him to do well but and the same goes for Anderson but neither drum up the level of affection I felt towards Mike Atherton or Angus Fraser. Most of this team I am totally indifferent to, they seem like nice guys but have almost no opinion on players such as Alistair Cook or Graham Onions. In some ways I thought a similar thing might have happened to Australia, deprives of some of the greatest characters in the history of cricket. However as this series draws to an end I have seen new characters, Johnson has been a great story throughout the series, as has Hauritz in some ways. But most notable of all has been Ricky Ponting, like him or not (I do) Ponting is a character and along with Flintof he has been in many ways the central figure of this series, I cannot help but feel the constant booing and barracking he has received from the England supporters in some ways a result of the lack of characters on their own side.
So this is just me or are others struggling to really get behind this particular England side?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's you. :ph34r:

Nah, interesting point raised and it deserves more that a one line joke dismissal. I reckon the lack of scrappers and gumption probably has something to do with it. Yeah, in years and series gone by we were a distant second, but blokes like Nass, Athers & Thorpey would always have a dig. Nothing worse than seeing players who aren't giving it their best go.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think how uncompetitive this series has been probably has a lot to do with it. That's a bit of a fallacy, because it has been a competitive series, just without any competitive matches. The only game both sides showed up to was Edgbaston, when rain ensured that only one side had a shot at winning anyway. What's been unfortunate from a neutral perspective is that only one side at a time has ever played good cricket. It can be a little difficult to get excited about your side sometimes when they're only ever losing comfortably or winning comfortably.

I'd be surprised if you felt the same while watching Monty and Jimmy at Cardiff though.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I understand what you're saying Pothas but I don't agree, though noone will be surprised to hear that. I could not possibly care any more than I do I don't think. I certainly don't think Giles is any more of a character than Swann, for example, and I loooove watching Colly grind itout with the best of them.

I think your aussie bird has had any absent-minded influence on you :ph34r:

Pothas

No, her fervent support for Australia(despite not really liking cricket all that much) on the whole makes me want England to win more although I am more inclined to support them against other countries than before. Must admit though that I do quite like this particular Australian side.

I wish this side just provoked a little more reaction, even in some ways if this was a negative one. England are not awful they are just mediocre and have been for a number of years.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Flintoff (and KP to a certain extent) cast a really big shadow. At the moment it seems to be all about Flintoff, we can only win with him, he's the only character, we need him for motivation, he's the only player all the fans care about, we need him even only on one leg... and so on. Maybe when he's finally gone we will be able to consider the other players more and learn more about them.

tooextracool

International Coach
Cannot see how Swann and Harmison are any less characters than the likes of Giles and Caddick tbh. and Broad probably moreso than Hoggard even. Perhaps this series isnt as exciting as 2005 because of the fact that both teams are arguably middling teams, but lets be honest here. Despite what most may think, the quality of Australian bowling bar Warne was dross back then and the quality of England batting was almost as bad as the one we are seeing at the moment.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I'm right with you Pothas, definitely struggling to get behind this English team. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As already mentioned, by both Pothas, I have very similar feelings towards this series, and just the England side in general. I have a feeling of near total apathy towards the whole thing. Though I was very much fired up for the Edgbaston test, my feelings towards the rest of the series has been...very meh. I kind of see the whole thing as an Ashes Lite, I don't know why, but it just seem's there isn't the same level of intensity of any of the other previous ashes series I've watched. As Uppercut has said, this reason is a fallacy, as it's simply not fair nor true to say that it isn't competitive. Of course I hope England do well, but, for once, there is no real drive to see them succeed, which, is quite saddening really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As already mentioned, by both Pothas, I have very similar feelings towards this series, and just the England side in general. I have a feeling of near total apathy towards the whole thing. Though I was very much fired up for the Edgbaston test, my feelings towards the rest of the series has been...very meh. I kind of see the whole thing as an Ashes Lite, I don't know why, but it just seem's there isn't the same level of intensity of any of the other previous ashes series I've watched. As Uppercut has said, this reason is a fallacy, as it's simply not fair nor true to say that it isn't competitive. Of course I hope England do well, but, for once, there is no real drive to see them succeed, which, is quite saddening really.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/off-topic/43437-general-poor-standard-written-spoken-english.html

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Unexpectedly flat atmosphere at SWALEC for the first Test
2. Two sub-standard teams battling it out to be the less crap over 5 games
3. More specifically, two pretty poor bowling attacks
4. Fewer obvious Crim hate figures than usual
5. No games of any particular quality so far
6. No KP
7. Crap weather

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cannot see how Swann and Harmison are any less characters than the likes of Giles and Caddick tbh. and Broad probably moreso than Hoggard even. Perhaps this series isnt as exciting as 2005 because of the fact that both teams are arguably middling teams, but lets be honest here. Despite what most may think, the quality of Australian bowling bar Warne was dross back then and the quality of England batting was almost as bad as the one we are seeing at the moment.
Personally, I always found Giles quite the character, there was always a sense of the underdog about him, and how every other touring country identified and targeted him as the weak link in the England side, there was always (for me personally) great personal satisfaction at seeing him turn it on and put in a performance (like when he bowled Damien Martyn in 2005 or Brian Lara the summer before). The fact that he was regarded as a joke by the English media and labelled "Wheelie Bin" just made me like him more, and added something to his character. Though Swann is arguably of similar ability, and a nice chap to boot, there is just something totally plain about him which doesn't draw my utmost support, and makes him very hard to identify with. I don't expect you to be swayed by this argument in the slightest, but for me personally there was something a lot more distinct about previous England sides, the current crop though perfectly pleasant and nice, just have a sense of "pap" about them, they are neither dislikeable (apart from Stuart Broad arguably) or truly likeable.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For me, even though this Ashes series has been nowhere near the quality of the last on these shores, and nor have we seen any brilliance anywhere near on a par with what the Aussies did in the alleged series of 06-07, I have enjoyed it from start to finish. It's an Ashes series, it's in England, I've watched more of it than any other Test series since...2005 actually, because of my work circumstances back then. It's England V Australia, I cannot entertain the thought of being anything other than up for it (there's a naughty in that).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, owned, shocking form. In fairness the "by both" bit was originally going to say "Pothas and Uppercut", but then I edited what I was about to say, still a shocker by my own standards though.
Your next ban's a perma isn't it? I think the time has come...best get posting your flounce...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You've stuck your knackers on the block with that thread, sledger, and now I fear that you're going to feel the pain for a long time to come...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You've stuck your knackers on the block with that thread, sledger, and now I fear that you're going to feel the pain for a long time to come...
Yes, there was always that risk tbh, ah well, win some lose some, will later claim that I was intoxicated and couldn't type properly.

Pothas

Harmison is I admit a character but for some reason he provokes at best mild amusement (his shirt is always comically massive and his batting is funny) and at worst just iritation at his consistant failues. Giles as has been mentioned was always rather more downtrodden and put opon than Swann (so far anyway) and it was just great to see him do well. As for the quality of the series, this is not my issue (I watch a league 1 side.) I have enjoyed this series in large part because I have actullay got to watch decent amounts of it which I have missed for the last few years I just wish that I was more desperate for England to win at the end of it.