• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, why on earth did we drop Blackwood?
Hadn't he been really dire for ages before being picked for this series? Was doing just as bad as some of the others back in 16/17 when he was regularly in the side.

But yeah....that's nasty stats wise. I guess I'd possibly persist with Brathwaite as I don't know who's better, but Hope has to go and Chase should be on thin ice.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Hadn't he been really dire for ages before being picked for this series? Was doing just as bad as some of the others back in 16/17 when he was regularly in the side.

But yeah....that's nasty stats wise. I guess I'd possibly persist with Brathwaite as I don't know who's better, but Hope has to go and Chase should be on thin ice.
Those were my thoughts at the time, plus the fact he kept chipping it to cover. But his average of 30 is a bastion of hope when compared to the others. He can consider himself unlucky and to have been held to a different standard to all the others.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i thought brathwaite looked a bit better this series. got a couple of pretty good 50s.

needs to step it up further though no doubt. averaging less than 20 over a two year stretch is england opener level.

he will almost certainly not be dropped because who the hell do you replace him with?

Beamer

he will almost certainly not be dropped because who the hell do you replace him with?
When it comes to openers, that is the big issue. Not enough natural openers scoring big runs. It's either Shayne Moseley, a natural opener who I really don't rate, or Joshua Da Silva who enjoys opening and did well in the squad match, but has played most of his FC cricket batting at 4, 5 or 6.

vcs

Kraigg has been terrible for a long time but the rest have been so bad that it masks his terribleness.

Who do you replace first out of him and Campbell if you're trying out a new opener? Campbell is also **** but at least he has a greater chance of biffing a 30-40 before he inevitably gets out.

SillyCowCorner1

Campbell and Hope belongs in the ODI setup.
We have openers developing.
Ideally I’d like to see Kimani Melius elevating his game for an opening slot. I see the potential there with him

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Ideally I’d like to see Kimani Melius elevating his game for an opening slot. I see the potential there with him

oh bby dem wrists

Beamer

He has lots of talent but needs that FC season under his belt. The problem is outside of Da Silva and Moseley, I don;t see any opener who could come in now for either Campbell or Braithwaite. At least in the middle order we have some options.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
After sleeping on it, I've done some research on our batting over the last 2 years. Here are the Test averages of the Windies batsmen featuring in this series, over the last 2 years:

Kraigg Braithwaite: 13 matches, 409 runs @ 16.36
John Campbell: 9 matches, 382 runs @ 25.86
Shai Hope: 12 matches: 393 runs @ 17.86
Shamarh Brooks: 6 matches, 369 runs @ 33.54
Roston Chase: 13 matches, 610 runs @ 26.52
Jermaine Blackwood: 4 matches, 249 runs @ 35.57
Jason Holder: 9 matches, 529 runs @ 37.78
Shane Dowrich: 11 matches, 536 runs @ 31.52

I must admit I have not looked at it this way before. What on earth are we doing sticking with Braithwaite, Hope and Chase? Those stats are embarrassing. You're right, dropping Campbell based on those stats would be very harsh. He's like Bradman compared to Braithwaite and Hope. Also, why on earth did we drop Blackwood?

I don;t think anyone could complain if they just ripped up that batting order and started again.
Shimron Hetmeyr compares to this with 10 matches, 516 runs @ 28.66

at least he fit into the vibe of the lineup

Beamer

Shimron Hetmeyr compares to this with 10 matches, 516 runs @ 28.66

at least he fit into the vibe of the lineup
With an average of 28 he slots straight in at number 3 no problem :laugh:.

It's mad really. These stats are just so curry goat/village.

Flem274*

123/5
as i said in the tour thread, might be time to start looking at domestic conversion rates. even though the decks are better now you need 5 or so years of them before you'll see results.

technique another. if two blokes average 35, pick the guy who can transfer that 35 average to tests.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'd persist with John Campbell

Hope should be dropped for Bravo

Chase plays if Windies go in with an all pace attack. If Cornwall plays then Chase needs to make way for Hetmyer

Ideally I'd also like to see Holder bat higher as well eventually

I'd also like to see Chemar Holder play soon as well

Shady Slim

International Coach
I'd persist with John Campbell

Hope should be dropped for Bravo

Chase plays if Windies go in with an all pace attack. If Cornwall plays then Chase needs to make way for Hetmyer

Ideally I'd also like to see Holder bat higher as well eventually

I'd also like to see Chemar Holder play soon as well
you persisting with campbell on the basis of seeing promise or on the basis of no better option?

unrelated to your post: i suppose it's important to remember the windies have in all fairness come from absolute doldrums and taken a lot of time to get right with their bowling, and start a fast bowler factory again... if CWI does have their head screwed on properly now, they'll use that to foster better bats in their domestic comps (such as by following the @Flem274* model for how you curate your domestic pitches) and field a complete team in a few years from now. can't expect the gold to be raining down straight away in their top order

Beamer

I suppose it's important to remember the windies have in all fairness come from absolute doldrums and taken a lot of time to get right with their bowling, and start a fast bowler factory again... if CWI does have their head screwed on properly now, they'll use that to foster better bats in their domestic comps (such as by following the @Flem274* model for how you curate your domestic pitches) and field a complete team in a few years from now. can't expect the gold to be raining down straight away in their top order
I totally agree with this. The current group have learned to bat on some awful pitches. It will take a while before we see the effects of Jimmy Adams policies on the batting.

Interestingly, I heard Jimmy Adams say they're looking to find a way to encourage wrist spinners. For example, adding bonus points like they did for the fast bowlers.

Beamer

In other news, South Africa's trip to the Caribbean had been postponed. So our next scheduled test cricket is a tour to NZ in November.

We really don't play enough tests as it is, COVID is making things even tougher.

Beamer

Also read an interesting suggestion on another message board. Hetmeyer should open the batting for Guyana on the next FC comp and try and solve our opener problem.

He used to open at youth level. Might be worth a go. SSC, what do you think?

Flem274*

123/5
i don't like it. when you open sometimes you've got to shelve your personal glory and put shots away, score 11* (44) etc and accept sometimes you're the sacrifice so other batsmen may live.

hetmyer is too yolo for that role.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
you persisting with campbell on the basis of seeing promise or on the basis of no better option?

unrelated to your post: i suppose it's important to remember the windies have in all fairness come from absolute doldrums and taken a lot of time to get right with their bowling, and start a fast bowler factory again... if CWI does have their head screwed on properly now, they'll use that to foster better bats in their domestic comps (such as by following the @Flem274* model for how you curate your domestic pitches) and field a complete team in a few years from now. can't expect the gold to be raining down straight away in their top order
Yeah I think there's some potential

Opening in England is extremely difficult for touring sides so I'm more than willing to keep persisting with him

Beamer

There has been lot of negative stuff about Shai, including from me, as he has been a real failure in tests.

However, Johnny Bairstow getting to 3000 runs brought home just how awesome Shai has been in ODI cricket. He is the second fastest to 3k behind only Virat, 5 innings quicker than Bairstow. Fair play, that's impressive.