• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
CPL fixtures

Brian Lara Cricket Academy
18 August, 10am - Trinbago Knight Riders v Guyana Amazon Warriors
18 August, 5:30pm - Barbados Tridents v St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
19 August, 10am - Jamaica Tallawahs v St Lucia Zouks
19 August, 5:30pm - Guyana Amazon Warriors v St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
20 August, 10am - St Lucia Zouks v Barbados Tridents
20 August, 5:30pm- Trinbago Knight Riders v Jamaica Tallawahs
22 August, 10am - St Kitts & Nevis Patriots v St Lucia Zouks
22 August 5.30pm - Guyana Amazon Warriors v Jamaica Tallawahs
23 August 10am - Trinbago Knight Riders v Barbados Tridents
23 August 5.30pm - Guyana Amazon Warriors v St Lucia Zouks

Queen's Park Oval
25 August, 10am - St Kitts & Nevis Patriots Barbados Tridents
25 August, 5:30pm - Jamaica Tallawahs v Guyana Amazon Warriors
26 August 10am - St Lucia Zouks v Trinbago Knight Riders
26 August, 5:30pm - Barbados Tridents v Jamaica Tallawahs
27 August, 10am - St Lucia Zouks v St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
27 August, 5:30pm - Guyana Amazon Warriors v Trinbago Knight Riders
29 August, 10am - Barbados Tridents v Trinbago Knight Riders
29 August, 5:30pm - St Kitts & Nevis Patriots v Jamaica Tallawahs
30 August, 10am - Barbados Tridents v St Lucia Zouks
30 August, 5:30pm - St Kitts & Nevis Patriots v Guyana Amazon Warriors

Brian Lara Cricket Academy
1 September, 10am - Jamaica Tallawahs v Trinbago Knight Riders
1 September, 5:30pm - Guyana Amazon Warriors v Barbados Tridents
2 September, 10am - Trinbago Knight Riders v St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
2 September, 5:30pm - St Lucia Zouks v Guyana Amazon Warriors
3 September, 10am - Jamaica Tallawahs v St Kitts & Nevis Patriots
3 September, 5:30pm - Barbados Tridents v Guyana Amazon Warriors
5 September, 10am - Trinbago Knight Riders v St Lucia Zouks
5 September, 5:30pm - Jamaica Tallawahs v Barbados Tridents
6 September, 10am - St Kitts & Nevis Patriots v Trinbago Knight Riders
6 September, 5:30pm - St Lucia Zouks v Jamaica Tallawahs
8 September, TBC - Semi final 1 (1st v 4th)
8 September, TBC - Semi final 2 (2nd vs 3rd)
10 September, TBC - Final

Do y'all want a separate thread or does it tie in with the rest of the 2020-21 season?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So it has been confirmed we will tour New Zealand sometime between October and December, almost certainly for tests and T20's not sure about ODI's. I'm super excited to get some more test matches and we need them to develop, but terrified at the prospect of our incompetent batsman looking completely useless against Wagner's short balls.

Because we have CPL, a lot can change with the limited overs players, but I cant imagine there will be many 4 day matches before then, so it is fair to guess the squad, injuries excepted. I'm assuming we wont need to take 25 people by that stage, so I'll guess at 16.

Openers

Kraigg Braithwaite (stay of execution after doing ok in England)
John Campbell (last chance, only in due to lack of credible options)
Joshua Da Silva (back up opener/wicket keeper)

Middle Order

Darren Bravo
Shimron Hetmeyer
Shamarh Brooks
Jermaine Blackwood
Roston Chase (spin option- needs to improve his batting away from home, time is running out)
Kyle Mayers (seam option)

All-rounders

Jason Holder
Shane Dowrich (WK)

Bowlers

Rakheem Cornwall
Keemo Paul
Kemar Roach
Shannon Gabriel
Alzarri Joseph

If it was up to 18 I would add Chemar Holder and Shayne Mosely. Same old story, strong bowling attack, weak batting though whoever we pick is likely to at least be slightly more productive at 3 than Shai Hope has been. I can't see us doing too well in NZ unless the pitches are seriously green and our bowlers do some damage whilst one our batsmen has one of their once a year great games. I would of course pick Pooran ahead of pretty much anyone in that middle order but I just don't see them doing that, they're way too conservative.

Flem274*

123/5
pre-christmas nz will feature spicy decks. it rains a lot and regional covid lockdowns might interfere with pitch preparation.

the windies batsmen are gonna want to get further forward than they did in england or they risk a procession of lbws. bowling wise, they've been prone to bowling too short on their previous two tours. they're not the only ones but i figure word will get out eventually.

big series for kemar roach and kraigg brathwaite. roach pitches it up and swings it, this is his time. brathwaite needs to dig in to give his middle order breathing room from the swinging ball. the kookaburra won't swing for as long as the duke so if he and campbell can give the guys below them one less thing to worry about it will help.

can't wait tbh, been too long since our last home test. really looking forward to seeing your attack on our shores and i have a soft spot for brooks and chase as well.

please play rakheem. he's the best.

Beamer

You guys are a bit too good tbh. The difference between England and yourselves is that England's batting line-up could always collapse and they use the Dukes ball, so our bowlers were well placed to exploit that until they got knackered in back-to back-to back tests.

You guys are solid with the bat also, making it less likely we'll win a test. I'm not saying it's impossible, because our attack is really good, but I just think it's unlikely.

I would always play Rakheem the dream :). I think it could be a big tour for Keemo Paul. He has an insane FC record and pitches the ball up more than any of our other bowlers. He could be useful.

I would also say it is time Alzarri took some real wickets. He is bowling some very incisive spells but not quite getting the rewards.

Beamer

Hearing that there will be only 2 tests and a whole bunch of T20I's against New Zealand. Unsurprising given it isn't profitable for the NZ cricket board but it is hard to see our test side developing as they could with all these really short series.

Beamer

SO now the CPL is almost over it has got me thinking about our T20 side for the World Cup. It was generally a disappointing tournament for young West Indian players, particularly batsmen outside of the current first team like King and Rutherford. Experience certainly won the day in this tournament. Most surprising to me was how good Fidel Edwards was in comparison to Oshane. I'd pick Fidel any day at the moment. Roston Chase was also excellent with bat and ball.

My Windies T20 first XI

Chris Gayle
Evin Lewis (Narine if Lewis is out of form or Gayle is too old)
Shimron Hetmeyer
Nicholas Pooran (wk)
Andre Russell
Kireon Pollard (c)
Dwayne Bravo
Sunil Narine
Jason Holder
Hayden Walsh Jr
Sheldon Cotterell

Reserves: Lendl Simmons, Roston Chase, Keemo Paul, Fidel Edwards, Kesrick Williams

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I wasn't that impressed with Keemo Paul in the CPL bits I saw. I hope that CWI doesn't manage to squander him sohe doesn't become a full time T20 tourist.

Beamer

Keemo is more of a longer format player for my liking
I agree with you, he is potentially an outstanding FC/Test bowler. I would be comfy replacing him with Khary Pieerre or Akheel Hossain. They just won't pick Rakheem for Limited Overs stuff, not whilst Pollard is captain.

JOJOXI

Johnson Charles with a couple decent knocks in an abject Barbados side has helped his chance of a T20 World Cup spot - I'd put him in my squad unless Gayle has a very good IPL.

My Starting XI would be

Evin Lewis
Sunil Narine
Lendl Simmons
Shimron Hetmyer
Nicolas Pooran
Andre Russell
Keiron Pollard
Dwayne Bravo
Roston Chase/Keemo Paul/Jason Holder
Hayden Walsh Jr
Sheldon Cottrell

With next World T20 now in India would like to see Roston Chase given a go before then and see how he does as a spin option - done well in the CPL and may well get helpful pitches in the IPL but International batsman a step up from the CPL. His batting a bonus and could come up the order if early wickets are lost but he'd need to be able to prove he can bowl 4 overs reliably. If Chase done poorly for West Indies in leadup then Paul an option on slower pitches and Holder for pitches where they may be a little assistance for the seamers and decent bounce.

My Reserves would be: Johnson Charles, Darren Bravo, Denesh Ramdin. Jason Holder, Keemo Paul

Think Denesh Ramdin a decent option as backup, solid v spin can tick the score over, providing stability in middle order to compliment power hitting of Russell and Pollard. Keemo Paul's slower balls could potentially play a part in India too. Darren Bravo found some form in his last few CPL innings and if he can keep that up could threaten to dislodge Simmons or Lewis from XI - in the case of Lewis for Bravo, Simmons would go up to opening the innings.

Beamer

The selectors have supposedly met to select the teams for NZ (15 test, 15 T20, 5 reserves). Looking forward to seeing what they come up with, particularly for the Tests.

They need to decide what to do with the second opener spot (John Campbell or Joshua Da Silva?), the number 3 slots (Shai Hope surely needs a rest). Basically the batting selections will be interesting.

Also, the reserve pacer slot and whether it goes to Chemar or Keemo Paul will be very interesting.

Beamer

Johnson Charles with a couple decent knocks in an abject Barbados side has helped his chance of a T20 World Cup spot - I'd put him in my squad unless Gayle has a very good IPL.

My Starting XI would be

Evin Lewis
Sunil Narine
Lendl Simmons
Shimron Hetmyer
Nicolas Pooran
Andre Russell
Keiron Pollard
Dwayne Bravo
Hayden Walsh Jr
Sheldon Cottrell
Like this team alot. My only comment is that Narine doesn't look like he will make it back to international cricket so we will have to re-think that one.

Tom Flint

International Regular

My Starting XI would be

Evin Lewis
Sunil Narine
Lendl Simmons
Shimron Hetmyer
Nicolas Pooran
Andre Russell
Keiron Pollard
Dwayne Bravo
Hayden Walsh Jr
Sheldon Cottrell

With next World T20 now in India would like to see Roston Chase given a go before then and see how he does as a spin option - done well in the CPL and may well get helpful pitches in the IPL but International batsman a step up from the CPL. His batting a bonus and could come up the order if early wickets are lost but he'd need to be able to prove he can bowl 4 overs reliably. If Chase done poorly for West Indies in leadup then Paul an option on slower pitches and Holder for pitches where they may be a little assistance for the seamers and decent bounce.

My Reserves would be: Johnson Charles, Darren Bravo, Denesh Ramdin. Jason Holder, Keemo Paul

Think Denesh Ramdin a decent option as backup, solid v spin can tick the score over, providing stability in middle order to compliment power hitting of Russell and Pollard. Keemo Paul's slower balls could potentially play a part in India too. Darren Bravo found some form in his last few CPL innings and if he can keep that up could threaten to dislodge Simmons or Lewis from XI - in the case of Lewis for Bravo, Simmons would go up to opening the innings.
I'd take out narine and move everyone up a spot, then put Cornwall in at no 9

JOJOXI

I'd take out narine and move everyone up a spot, then put Cornwall in at no 9
I'd like Narine to play but it looks less likely with him recently being reported in the IPL - not sure who the best T20 spinner is for West Indies after Walsh Jr - Cornwall doesn't have an amazing T20 record - I'd probably play Chase in some of the T20s before the WT20 and if he does decently with the ball include him as a definite in the XI as a floater who could come in if early wickets had been lost or come in at number 8/9 if side is going well and then include one of Paul/Holder. Its a shame as a few years ago - Narine and Badree were a great spin pair and sometimes overlooked - people talked about WI power hitters but Narine and Badree ensured the bowling was good too, had the likes of Santokie and Bravo who could mix things up too, now the bowling attack looks relatively meh in my view. Think Cottrell is solid but after that bowling seems meh - just hope Russell is fit enough to a) play and b) bowl.