• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions

Ringua

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Re: Re: Re: Re: World Cup

warrioryohannan said:
That was hardly surprising considering the pitches they were playing then and the bowlers they had to face then, in SA it will be a totrally different scenario!
As if the bowler that gave Gilchrist a hard time has retired and won't be playing in World cup:rolleyes:

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: World Cup

Ringua said:
As if the bowler that gave Gilchrist a hard time has retired and won't be playing in World cup:rolleyes:

LOL! Now that was very silly of you. Agreed the bowler we are talking about "harbhajan singh" is still playing but he won't have the luxury of bowling on Indian pitches that suits him. But more than that Australia WON"T be just playing with India, atmost they will play 1-2 matches with India and Harbhajan would get just ten over to do whatever he can:P

Eclipse

International Debutant
Harbajans domanance over Gilchrist extends only to test cricket Gilly has done very well against him in One Day cricket.

And his domanance only extends 2 tests in the other one Gilly made 120 odd at better than a run a ball.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Harbajans domanance over Gilchrist extends only to test cricket Gilly has done very well against him in One Day cricket.

And his domanance only extends 2 tests in the other one Gilly made 120 odd at better than a run a ball.
Well Harbhajan's stats against Gilly is not something that can prove anything one way or the other because they have played in only 3 tests against each other and 7 ODIs.

Gilly has scores of 122, 0, 0, 1, 1 in the four test innings in which he came against Harbhajan and scores of 25, 11, 27, 63, 6, 76 in the six ODI innings that he played against India with Harbhajan.

I would say the number of matches are too less to say anything. But if you look at it it can be seen that till now in tests Harbhajan has pretty much dominated Gilly and in ODIs Gilly hasn't done anything great either. But that doesn't imply that Harbhajan is gonna get Gilly in the WC or anything of that sort.

Eclipse

International Debutant
witch is what I was trying to say.

We cant just assume he will do well against Gilly in the world cup just because He had 2 really good tests against him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
witch is what I was trying to say.

We cant just assume he will do well against Gilly in the world cup just because He had 2 really good tests against him.
And you can't assume Gilly will do well against him just because he's had 1 good Test against him!:P

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
And you can't assume Gilly will do well against him just because he's had 1 good Test against him!:P
Were did you get the idea that I was assuming that hey dont patronise me.

I never said anything about that at all. basicly I was just pointing out that the cards are even at this stage in One Day cricket and that in test cricket 2 matches is not alot to go by.

PY

International Coach
Eclipse said:
How could he be its not like Lee ever bowls that many No balls about 4 a match is the most.
4 no-balls after a mere 3.2 overs......:lol: 8D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Reminder that one swallow does not a summer make.

If he can repeat it, then you can justify the self-congratulation, but if he slumps now and doesn't get past 20 again, then it won't be quite so good!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Reminder that one swallow does not a summer make.

If he can repeat it, then you can justify the self-congratulation, but if he slumps now and doesn't get past 20 again, then it won't be quite so good!
I venture to say that if he an do that to Pakistan he can do it to anybody, though he played against Afridi, Younis and Razzaq for a major portion of the innings.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
He probably will never again do it, even given India's generosity towards him..and he may not get much of a chance against Namibia and Holland.

He'll probably score a fifty or a cameo knock or two from here on.

--

Gilli opens in ODIs. If he's of value to Australia it's because of the damage he does to the pacemen upfront. Moreover, Harbhajan wont get to bowl to him fresh to the crease.
However, Bhajji did dominate Gilli in the few matches that India played Aus with these two in the side.

PY

International Coach
Just thought this needed to be brought to the top because the World Cup has finished and things need to compared and people need to be mocked :lol: broncoman for example......ouch Jacques Kallis being Man Of The Tournament :( :P

V Reddy

International Debutant
vishnureddy said:
Winner - Australia
Final - Australia vs India/Pakistan
Semis - Australia , SAF , NZ and IN/PAK
L Runs - Gibbs/Ponting
L Wickets - Zaheer,Shoiab,Ntini,Lee.
Highest S - Jayasuriya/Ganguly
Player of T - Ponting/Kallis
Biggest S - Ganguly
Biggest F - Knight
Biggest S - WI
Biggest F - India/Pakistan
I atleast got it right about the Ind/Pak thing and also about Sourav as many said he may not even get 100 ;) . Got wrong about Kallis and Shoiab and Ntini. Also about NZ and Saf in Semis.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Winner: SA/Australia (Toss Up)

Final: Australia vs South Africa

Leading Run Scorer: Hayden

Leading Wicket Taker: Ahktar/Pollock

Highest individual Score: Viv Richards :) /Gayle/Sarwan

Player of the Tournament: Kallis/Hayden

Biggest Surprise(Player): Oram/McLean

Biggest Flop(Player): Sehwag/Elahi

Biggest Surprise(Team): West Indies

Biggest Flop(Team): India/Zimbabwe (among the contending teams)

Fielder of the Tournament: Jonty of course.

Clutch Player of the Tournament: Sarwan

Biggest Ears: AA/Gilly
Final: half correct.
Run scorer- very wrong.
Wickets- even more wrong!
High score- no one seriously backed Wishart did they....
POT- very wrong!
Surprise- no comment...
Flop Player- until the finals......
Surprise- the minnows snatched this one.
Flop Team- CONGRATULATIONS INDIA!!!
:D
Fielder- would've been Jonty...
Clutch- the young man returned from hospital to almost win the game....:)

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The final results were:

Winner: Australia

Final: Australia vs India

Leading Run Scorer: Tendulkar

Leading Wicket Taker: Vaas

Highest individual Score: Wishart

Player of the Tournament: Tendulkar

Biggest Surprise(Player): Symonds

Biggest Flop(Player): Donald or Cairns

Biggest Surprise(Team): Kenya

Biggest Flop(Team): South Africa

My tips were very ordinary. The strangest thing is that no one tipped Tendulkar to get the most runs or man of the tournament. The world's best batsman and no one rated him.

The surprise and flop players are my judgments and open to change. Teh rest are on the money I would say.

South Africa being out early caused the tipsters most grief.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
anilramavarma said:
Winner: South Africa

Final: South Africa vs New Zealand

Semi finalists: South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, West Indies

Leading Run Scorer: Herschelle Gibbs

Leading Wicket Taker: Glenn McGrath

Highest individual Score: Gibbs

Player of the Tournament: Jacques Kallis

Biggest Surprise(Player): Javagal Srinath

Biggest Flop(Player): Adam Gilchrist

Biggest Surprise(Team): West Indies

Biggest Flop(Team): Pakistan
Almost all my predictions bombed spectacularly except maybe the flop team one: Pakistan and SA vied for top honors here and arguably, it's Pakistan.

Anyway, this probably shows that the Nostradamus line of business is not for me. :P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Almost all my predictions bombed spectacularly except maybe the flop team one: Pakistan and SA vied for top honors here and arguably, it's Pakistan.

Anyway, this probably shows that the Nostradamus line of business is not for me. :P
Good job you didn't take up Fantisy World Cup...you would probably be bringing up the rear with Si :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rik said:
Winner: Australia
Final: Australia vs South Africa
Leading Run Scorer: Marcus Trescothick, Nick Knight or Gibbs
Leading Wicket Taker: Murali, Pollock
Highest individual Score: Jayasuria or Sehwag
Player of the Tournament: Herschelle Gibbs
Biggest Surprise(Player): Flintoff, Oram or Tikolo of Kenya.
Biggest Flop(Player): Ganguly, Watson or Hogg
Biggest Surprise(Team): England (Hoping Zimbabwe too)
Biggest Flop(Team): India
Right...

Winner: Well I got it right but it wasn't hard was it?

Final: Errmm...half right

Leading run scorer: Gibbs was up there...

Leading wicket taker: Oooops

Player of the Tournament: Whoops

Biggest surprise player: Damn

Biggest flop player: Errrm one went home...

Biggest Surprise Team: Well Zimbabwe did well but no one expected Kenya to do so well!

Biggest Flop Team: Well I got that right...what an anti-climax in the final :(