• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI's - Europe & Rest of the World

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, based solely on the World Cup thus far my European XI would look like this:

------------------------------------Van der Sar-------------------------------------

Sergio Ramos-------Terry------------------Nesta-----------------Zambrotta

Rosicky----------------Frings-----------------Deco-----------------------J Cole

----------------------------Torres-----------------Shevchenko---------------------

Subs:
G Buffon
D Puyol
D Lahm
M Robben
S Klose

I'm off out for a pint soon, so I'll post RotW XI tomorrow.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
If Zanetti isn't even in the Argentina squad, how does he make a World squad?

Also, a formation of 1 centre back and 2 wing backs is dodgy.

And if Eboue is the best non-European right midfielder then I'm Mads Jorgensen.
Yeah thought that selection was hilarious :laugh:

My ROW XI based on the WC:

------------------------------------Hislop-------------------------------------------------

Traeblsi------------------Hurtado------------------Neill-----------------------Sorin

Valencia----------------Kaka-----------------Riquelme-----------------------Park :@

---------------------------Cahill----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------Tevez------------------------------

Subs:
Sanchez G
Ayala D
Juan D
Essien M
Kewell M
Kalou S
Adriano S

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
Exactly.

His crossing (when he decides to cross it) is ridiculously poor. Figo's a much better player all round than him. Portugal would be much better off with Simao on the left and FIgo on the right for mine. All very well to have a guy pulling off some amazing tricks but if he's not crossing it in to a head there's no point in it. I can remember about 3 times against Iran when he beat 1 player (partially) then took a pathetic shot. That's the sotr of stuff he normally does. When he has a great match he gets the end product. More often than not his showboating comes to nothing.

Rant over :)
I think the same can be said of Robinho (I'm aware Aussie didn't pick him in his ROW XI but I will say it anyway) IMO.

For all the comparisons as the next Pele, I'm beginning to be believe he is over-rated if you are going to compare him as the next Pele already when there is no way he is not the finished article. Based on what? They both used to play for Santos?

For all his tricks he has, I think he certaintly goes over-board on more then one occasion, and in cases I think that it is unnessacary. The thing I'm trying to say is that he is all skill but no substance, I'm not saying he won't chnage, but there are times when he doesn't need to show-off. I have nothing against players with flair, but I can name one game aginst Espanyol where they were leading 4-0 and here was doing trick-after-trick when he should of just passed and it got on with the game. And there was times when he did struggle in a Real Madrid shirt.

Anyway unlike Pele (I know things where different), at least he had the guts to go aboard to get better, then be like Pele and stay at Santos and bully crap opposition.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
My "best of the rest XI" from the world cup:

---------------------Abbondanzieri---------------------------

-------------Neill-----------Juan-------------Heinze--------

De La Cruz-----------Ze Roberto -----------------Sorin

----------------Riquelme--------------Essien--------------

-----------------Kaka---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------Crespo----------------------------

A bit of a pigs breakfast but it is hard to pick the stikers with the Brazilians being lethargic, the Argies and Ecuadorians rested, Drogba suspended for the Ivory Coast's third game and no one else being standouts.

Cloete

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
My "best of the rest XI" from the world cup:

---------------------Abbondanzieri---------------------------

-------------Neill-----------Juan-------------Heinze--------

De La Cruz-----------Ze Roberto -----------------Sorin

----------------Riquelme--------------Essien--------------

-----------------Kaka---------------------------------------------
-------------------------------Crespo----------------------------

A bit of a pigs breakfast but it is hard to pick the stikers with the Brazilians being lethargic, the Argies and Ecuadorians rested, Drogba suspended for the Ivory Coast's third game and no one else being standouts.
Yeah I was thinking that. I went for Tevez though. But I was going to have Tevez/Crespo/Saviola there. Also thought about Tenorio or Delgado

Fairly similar teams. I thought about Ze Roberto as well and also Abbondanzieri. Thing is I don't think Abbon has made too many saves, let alone top one's, but his distribution woulda been good! Heinze and Ayala was 50/50 for me too.

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Ok, based solely on the World Cup thus far my European XI would look like this:

------------------------------------Van der Sar-------------------------------------

Sergio Ramos-------Terry------------------Nesta-----------------Zambrotta

Rosicky----------------Frings-----------------Deco-----------------------J Cole

----------------------------Torres-----------------Shevchenko---------------------

Subs:
G Buffon
D Puyol
D Lahm
M Robben
S Klose

I'm off out for a pint soon, so I'll post RotW XI tomorrow.
I dunno how you could leave Robben out of the starting line-up. I'd bring him in at the expense of deco then move one of Cole or Rosicky into the middle. Play Robben on the left with Cole/Rosicky on the right.

I'd have Klose there over Shevva as well.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Cloete said:
Thing is I don't think Abbon has made too many saves, let alone top one's, but his distribution woulda been good! Heinze and Ayala was 50/50 for me too.
Good point. Hislop was unreal in the first game. I was very much qualified team centric in my thinking. Abbon has been more commanding than Dida, very average keeper for his reputation.

Craig

World Traveller
TBH I half expected Dida would not be in goal, and (I know inter bias you could say) and have Julio Cesar in goal instead.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cloete said:
I dunno how you could leave Robben out of the starting line-up. I'd bring him in at the expense of deco then move one of Cole or Rosicky into the middle. Play Robben on the left with Cole/Rosicky on the right.

I'd have Klose there over Shevva as well.
Shevchenko is an infinitely less selfish player than Klose. It's important for strikers to have that eye for goal, but Shevchenko's ball to Kalinichenko was one of the most generous pieces of play I've seen this world cup. Quite within his rights to have a go, he squared it to give his mate the tap in. When Klose isn't playing well (like against yer Poles) he looks ordinary in the extreme. Scores goals tho, which is his job at the end of the day, Brian. :p

Robben is on the bench as an impact player; great to bring him on with 20/25 left & let him run at defences.

Anyway, my RotW XI

----------------------Abbondanzieri--------------------

Neill--------Lucio-----------Heinze--------------Sorin

Kaka-------Riquelme--------Essien--------Cambiasso

----------------------Ronaldhindo------------------------

-------------------------Crespo----------------------------

Subs:

G Sanchez
D Cafu
D Ayala
M Cahill
S Delgado

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If Zanetti isn't even in the Argentina squad, how does he make a World squad?.
Didn't you take time to read my previous post so what if Pekerman didn't pick him in his original sqaud it doesn't take away the fact that he is still probably the best right-sided defender outside of europe & probably the world. The man just wanted to pick players that he worked with in various argentine youth championships & risked leaving out older top players thats all..

marc71178 said:
Also, a formation of 1 centre back and 2 wing backs is dodgy.
Well i have seen Argentina play with it a lot i think, but then again i'm not sure

marc71178 said:
And if Eboue is the best non-European right midfielder then I'm Mads Jorgensen.
What? Jorgensen is Danish thus European what are you saying. Eboue is a right back but he is extremely fast & surely can play in a right mid-field role very well for a world side if one is to have Zanetti in right back.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh dear, somebody misses the point.

I said:
if Eboue is the best non-European right midfielder then I'm Mads Jorgensen

And to compound you reckon that he is, because he's a good right back 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well excuse me if i dont understand your crazy sarcastic remarks.

I never said he is a good mid-fielder, i said since he shows so much pace as a right back i don't think it would be hard for him to play in a right mid-field role at all. Zambrotta does that sort of dual role for club & country..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Europe:

Code:
Klose Torres

Robben Cole Ballack Gerrard Rosicky

Puyol Terry Nesta  

Issakson (based entirely on moments of today)
Based pretty much on this World Cup

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Shevchenko is an infinitely less selfish player than Klose. It's important for strikers to have that eye for goal, but Shevchenko's ball to Kalinichenko was one of the most generous pieces of play I've seen this world cup. Quite within his rights to have a go, he squared it to give his mate the tap in. When Klose isn't playing well (like against yer Poles) he looks ordinary in the extreme. Scores goals tho, which is his job at the end of the day, Brian. :p
:D

That is all :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, I am, because he's a right back, yet you think he's the best non-European right midfielder in the World - so you didn't even say he was a good midfielder, you went far beyond that.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ok, but i explained why even though he is a full-back why with the pace he shows as a full-back why could play in the right mid-field position fairly comfortably i.e (how Zambrotta does for club & country in a similar left sided role) while Kaka who probably is the best right-midfielder outside of europe could play on the left thus giving the world side a strong look and a good balance.